Monday, 27 August 2012

Review: 666 Park Avenue by Gabriella Pierce


Title: 666 Park Avenue
Author: Gabriella Pierce
Series: 666 Park Avenue #1
Genre: Paranormal
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: UK:2nd Aug 2012|USA:1st Feb 2012

Tell Me About It
Jane thought she was living a fairy tale. Now she has to contend with burgeoning magical powers and a soon-to-be mother-in-law who is a witch ... literally

Welcome to New York City, where the socialites are witches.

Jane Boyle has been living a fairy tale. When her boyfriend Malcolm proposes, Jane can't believe her luck and decides to leave her Paris-based job as a fledgling architect and make a new start with him in New York. But when Malcolm introduces Jane to the esteemed Doran clan, one of Manhattan's most feared and revered families, Jane's fairy tale takes a darker turn. Now Jane must struggle with newfound magical abilities and the threat of those who will stop at nothing to get them.

Welcome to 666 Park Avenue....
My Thoughts
I will start off my review by saying that I had not heard of the publisher prior to them contacting me regarding their catalogue and books I may be interested in.  When I saw 666 Park Avenue I fell in love with the cover straight away, and when I read more about it and found out there was witches I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy.
Jane, the protagonist, lost her Mum and Dad in car crash when she was 10 months old, and was sent to live in France with her Grandmother.  She has a good job and moves away from home, and soon meets Malcolm.  When he proposes she says yes and together they go to tell Jane's Grandmother the news before they go to New York to live.   Upon arriving at her Grandmother's house Jane finds her dead, but her Grandmother's death reveals a family secret to Jane.  Jane keeps this secret, not even telling Malcolm.
Arriving in New York is a total culture shock for Jane, not knowing all about the Dorans, then suddenly being thrown into their rich and powerful world, having to deal with overbearing Mother-in-law, having job offers suddenly declined after a quick mention from said mother in law, people act strangely when they realise who Jane is marrying.  Jane quickly learns of the Dorans secret and is now facing the fight of her life.

From the minute I started 666 Park Avenue I was immediately drawn in to the world Gabriella has created.  The way the characters are described, with their attitudes and snobbery and close knit family I could imagine them all in my head, it also made it easier to sympathise with Jane, who having not lived a life of luxury is literally thrown into the deep end.  The stark reality of what Malcolm has grown up with, and Jane without makes that divide so much more bigger, and you want to cheer Jane on for everything she does to keep her independence and her own life, without having to rely on the Doran family name.

What I loved the most was getting to see Jane develop her powers and slowly learn to control them. With the help of a few close friends, Dee, Harris, Mauve, Jane is able to learn more about her heritage and also more about the Dorans and why exactly they want Jane.  When the secret is revealed about how Jane's grandmother died I hated the person who did it, and events that follow on in the book I don't know why things happened or why people are forgiven.

At end of 666 Park Avenue we get a few chapters of the next installment, and I am really looking forward to seeing what happens next with Jane and Malcolm and how much more powerful Jane can get, or how deadly the Durans can be.

Gabriella may have been an unknown writer earlier on, but now I intend to follow her work to read more of her amazing books.

1 comment:

  1. I have this book on my Kindle and am looking forward to reading it. It's being made into a TV series as well, which should be cool (though I'll admit it only caught my attention at first because I heard that Terry O'Quinn from Lost had been cast!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...