Monday, 20 August 2012

Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett


Title: Confessions of an Angry Girl
Author: Louise Rozett
Author Info: Website|News|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary
Source: Netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: 28th August 2012

Tell Me About It
Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make…1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)

(Sorry. That was rude.)

My Thoughts
From reading the synopsis I was drawn in immediately to Confessions of an Angry Girl and I couldn't wait to start it.  Rose, the protagonist, has a lot of things going on in her life that have every reason to make her angry, Father died in Iraq, strained relationship with her best friend after she makes cheer leading, and secrets that she kept hidden have been spread around the school, and now she is being bullied.

When I began reading Confessions of an Angry Girl I found myself enjoying it, but as the story progressed I was left wondering what exactly made Rose an 'angry girl'.  I know some of the above factors, the majority of people have experienced and we can all remember how it feels, but to have them all happen is unimaginable and I for one would not know exactly how I would feel if it was me.  On the other hand, with Rose having all these happen to her she isn't over emotionally angry, just average everyday anger that everyone experiences.  Rose is happy to talk about being angry or expressing her feelings but I think the worst thing she does is get into a fight.

While I think the title is slightly misleading, overall I did enjoy reading this book.  There are a lot of issues tackled in the book, and I do like the way they were dealt with in a sensitive manner and the conclusion of the book has me wanting to know what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. heard mixed things about this one, not sure if I want to read it or not, sounds like you enjoyed it for the most part though! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...