Saturday, 18 August 2012

Review: The Flask by Nicky Singer


Title: The Flask
Author: Nicky Singer
Author Info: Website|Blog
Source: Netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: 2nd Feb 2012

Tell Me About It
An unforgettable standalone novel from Nicky Singer, author of the sensational, award-winning FEATHER BOY.

Twelve-year-old Jess is grieving for her beloved Aunt Edie, and anxiously awaiting the birth of her twin brothers, when she finds a mysterious glass flask hidden in a desk. The flask is beautiful to Jess, and soon she starts to believe that it contains a magical life-force. When her half-brothers are born critically ill, Jess becomes convinced that their survival depends on what’s happening to the flask…

Through Jess's stunning narration, Nicky Singer explores the meaning of life, and the interconnected nature of all things - in a way which is entirely accessible to young readers.

My Thoughts
I have seen The Flask before but not really heard a lot about it, so when the opportunity came along to get if off netgalley via HarperCollins UK I picked it up.

Jess, still grieving over the loss of her Aunt, inherits a bureau and finds flask inside it with a strange glowing light.  As Jess investigates the flask and the light she makes a connection between it and her twin brothers.  When something happens to the flask and her brothers at the same time she makes it her mission to ensure the safety of the flask and the glowing light, therefore ensuring her brothers stay safe.  As the story progress and Jess's obsession with the flask grows, her friendship with Zoe begins to form cracks and soon they are not longer speaking to each other.

While I liked idea behind the story and having this 'thing' in the flask, at times I found it hard to relate to the protagonist. I felt she became too obsessed with the flask and was quick to find faults in her friendships and family, sometimes even acting like a spoilt brat.  The reality that Jess has tried to create for herself seemed a bit childish for her age, and although the mystery behind the flask is eventually solved I did struggle to get there.

Don't get me wrong, I did like some of the characters in The Flask, and if I was younger may have been able to relate to them a bit better, I just could not get Jess's whiny voice out of my head enough to focus on what else was happening.  Overall The Flask is an OK read but I doubt I will be adding a physical copy to my shelves.

1 comment:

  1. sorry to hear the book had some flaws . i have never heard of it. gr8 review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...