Tuesday, 14 August 2012

Review: Lengths by Steph Campbell & Liz Reinhardt


Title: Lengths
Author: Steph Campbell & Liz Reinhardt
Author Info Steph: Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Author Info Liz: Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Authors
Format: e ARC
Publication Date: 9th August 2012

Tell Me About It
Nineteen-year-old Whit Conrad leaves her conservative Pennsylvania home for sunny California, looking for independence, a fresh start, and a place to stash her grief. She promptly finds a job at a tattoo parlor, a craptastic first apartment, and one friend—Ryan—who is a little less friend, a little more benefits.

Deo Beckett is a soulful surfer with a passion for tattoos and beautiful women. On the eve of his twenty-second birthday, he finds himself living with his grandfather, recently unemployed, and seriously adrift. He doesn’t know much about what he wants out of life, but he does know his current situation isn't cutting it.

When Deo meets Whit, she’s all sexy makeup and fierce, smart-ass fun. It doesn’t take him long to see past her tough shell. And when he gets a good look at what's under all the superficial stuff that usually gets his attention, it leaves Deo wondering if there might be more to life than living fast and free.

Too bad Whit has a past she doesn't plan on sharing—no matter how hot Deo is. She might want him, but she knows better than to let her guard down.

Deo falls for Whit, and falls hard. But everything about her, down to that mysterious tattoo and the way she thrashes in her sleep, tells him that the girl he loves is hiding something. And the more he pushes for answers, the more Whit pulls away.

Having your guard up is one thing, but are the lengths Whit goes to to protect her secret worth throwing away the second chance she has at happiness with Deo?

My Thoughts
When I first saw Lengths on goodreads and that Liz Reinhardt was going to be a co- writer I knew I had to read it, when I got asked to post about it I jumped at the chance, and when teaser chapters were released on both Liz and Steph's website it made me want the book even more.  Imagine my surprise and excitement when I checked my emails and found an email off Steph and Liz with an eARC of Lengths attached to it and what initially started out as 'I'll take a quick look inside' turned out to be 'Just one more page....one more chapter.....nearly finished......The END'.  While this review may not be the longest or most detailed review out there, I really don't want to spoil Lengths for those who want to read it.  Just know that I could not put the book down.

Lengths is told from two different points of view, Whit and Deo.  Whit is happy with her arrangement with Ryan, hooking up for a fun time when they want to, until Deo comes on the scene and she soon finds herself wanting to know more about him.  Deo wants Whit from the moment he meets her and tries everything he can to make her see   As we get to know Whit and Deo the more we learn about them and about their past. While Deo has been a relatively open book for Whit, she is still hiding from her past and the reasons for her moving from home.

Whit may be secretive but to crary around what she has been carrying with no support or anyone to help her, shows how strong a person she is. I love how Deo was there to try to help her, and while I didn't like the route he took to help, he only had the best intentions in mind for Whit.

I loved Lengths from the moment I started right up to the very last word, and finished it in a few hours. The characters are flawed, but it's these flaws that make then unique in their own way and makes them a perfect match and helps to balance each other out. This is the first time I have read work by Steph, having already read Liz's work my expectations were pretty high, but I am glad to say the writing by both of these authors is brilliant. They have collaborated to create a fantastic piece of work that blew my expectations away, their words blended together so perfectly that I didn't know who wrote what perspective.  I am really hoping that I get to see more work from this duo, I just hope they don't mind a bit of stalking following to make sure I don't miss out on any new books.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Michelle!! You've done a gorgeous job of balancing what you liked without giving anything away, and that is so difficult to do (and so appreciated ;)!!)! Thank you for being part of this journey <3!! You rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article, thanks for sharing.
    Anna @ rental mobil

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...