Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Review: The Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin


Title: The Masque of the Red Death
Author: Bethany Griffin
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter
Genre: Science Fiction
Source: Publisher
Format: UK proof
Publication Date: UK:August 2nd 2012|USA:24th April 2012

Tell Me About It
Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.

My Thoughts
I finished this book a while ago and have been waiting to write this review for a while.  When I fist saw the cover of this book I knew I had to read it.  I am one of those people that judges a book by a cover, and this one had me hooked from the first second.  It is exactly my type of book cover.  I have never read any of Edgar Allen Poe's work, so I went into reading The Masque of the Red Death with no prior knowledge of the writings it was based from.

Araby, the protagonist, is one of the few privileged people with a mask to protect them from the plaque, purely because her own Father makes them.  When we are introduced to Araby, and her best friend, April, we know little about their own background, but as the story develops we get to look into Araby's history as she slowly reveals it, and we get to see the reasons why she wants to forget things.
April and Araby are frequent visitors to the Debauchery Club, and this is where Araby meets Will. Will works here to get little income in order to feed his brother and sister, Henry and Elsie.  Araby soon finds herself dealing with the affections of Will, and April's brother Elliot.

As soon as I began reading The Masque of the Red Death I found myself drawn into this world that Bethany has created and found it hard to drag myself away when I had to work or sleep.  When I first met Will I really liked him and thought he was perfect for Araby, while my first impression of Elliot wasn't very good.  It was instant dislike, his attitude alone made me dislike him so much.  As The Masque of the Red Death progresses and we find out more about both Will and Elliot I soon began to understand the reason for Elliot's attitude.  When Will does something later on, even though his actions were for his own reasons and he HAD to be selfish about it, I changed my opinion about him and soon found myself growing more fonder of Elliot, which surprised me.

The amount of detail gone into writing this book is phenomenal, the amount of death, destruction, and emotions that are described in the pages is beyond what I expected.  I actually felt like I was there watching it all happen and unable to do anything about it.  There is always something going on to keep me drawn into this world, not that I needed any more help to stay, and when it came to an end I was reluctant to put it down, I wanted to keep reading and keep Araby's story going.  I am now eagerly awaiting the next instalment, 2013 can't come quick enough.

1 comment:

  1. glad you enjoyed this one! I loved it too and cant wait for the sequel, this is theproblem with so many awesome series starting at the minute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...