Thursday, 16 August 2012

Review: Whisper by Chrissie Keighery


Title: Whisper
Author: Chrissie Keighery
Author Info: Website
Genre: Contemporary
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: Australia:August 2011|UK:July 2012

Tell Me About It
Fifteen-year-old Demi's world is shattered when she is left profoundly deaf by a sudden illness. Everything is different now, and Demi must learn to adapt to a new school, new friends and even learn a whole new language.

Whisper is a coming-of-age tale, about discovering who you are and where you fit in life. About friendships and first love and, most of all, learning to love the person you are.

My Thoughts
From the moment I picked up Whisper I could not put it down and read it all in a few hours.
Whisper is a story about Demi, who after getting meningitis ends up profoundly deaf, unable to hear a thing and unable to wear any type of aids.  She continues to go to her regular school, and with the help of Jules, learns to sign. But she soon finds that her old life and her new life weren't meant to be mixed together, and ends up attending a school for deaf children.  Once there she makes friends with Keisha, Erica, and a few other students.  Soon Demi learns that being deaf is not the end of everything and we get to see as she learns to adapt to a different way of living,

The first thing I want to say about Whisper is how much I love that the author has written it in a first person perspective, giving us a way to look inside Demi and get to feel and see what she does, but also a first hand look at how it affects her day to day activities.  Her emotions are right in front of us and as Demi learns to live and accept her new life, we get to experience it first hand with her.  Her nervousness, happiness, lack of confidence, sadness and worries are all conveyed clearly and it made it very easy to sympathise with Demi.

I really enjoyed seeing the new friendships formed and being able to follow them as they become strong bonds, but most importantly I loved how accepting and welcoming her new friends where from day one of the new school.  I love how Chrissie has intermingled Demi's old life with her new life, and although initially things aren't as great as she wanted them to be, Demi continues to work at her friendships from both of her lives.
The journey isn't always easy of plain sailing for Demi, but near the end she slowly begins to gain her confidence, and a few occasions I cheered her on and was extremely happy to see her stand up for herself.

I don't want to say too much about the plot as I really don't want to give it away.  Whisper is a book that you HAVE to read and experience it for yourself.  The author has written a great book that pulls your heartstrings, drags you in and keeps hold with all of it's might (even though I was NOT going to put it down till I had finished) and by the time you have finished you realise you have become emotionally invested in all the characters and you really don't want to say goodbye.  Reading Whisper definitely made me think of how much I take for granted each and every day, and while I may not have the best eyesight in the world, I am at least still able to hear things, birds singing, rain on the roof, my iPod, but at least now I will make a more conscious effort to listen more, rather than drown out the world with music.  I will defiantly re-read Whisper a few more times and although this is the first book I have read by Chrissie, I intend to read a lot more of her work.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good; I loved the blurb when I saw it a couple of weeks ago, and now your reviews got me convinced I have to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...