Saturday, 18 August 2012

Review: Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler


Title: Why We Broke Up
Author: Daniel Handler
Author Info: Website
Source: Publisher
Format: Proof
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: 2nd Feb 2012

Tell Me About It
This is the box, Ed. Inside is everything. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket from Greta in the Wind, a note from you, a box of matches, your protractor, Joan's book, the stolen sugar, a toy truck, those ugly earrings, a comb from the motel, and the rest of it. This is it Ed. The whole story of how we broke up.

My Thoughts
I have heard a lot of mixed things about Why We Broke Up and have been wanting to read it for a while.  When I realised it had been picked up by a UK publisher I jumped at the chance to read it.

Why We Broke Up begins with a letter from Min to Ed, she also sends him a box filled with items and every last remnant of their relationship,that she kept hold of and is now giving back.

Why We Broke Up is a unique book.  It is basically the letter that Min has wrote for Ed, and each 'chapter' begins with a picture of an item from the box, bottle caps, movie ticket, match box, and each item has its own little story and part into the whole reason of why they broke up.  I really loved the pictures and how they broke up the book into individual but unique chapters, but also I loved how they helped tell Min's story.  The artwork for these pictures is fantastic and I spent a few minutes of each picture before reading just to admire them.

When min is telling her story I did feel sorry for her, Ed never really treats her like he should and I think he thinks too much of himself.  Everything they do together seems to take second place in his life, and even down to comments he makes or things he does to her friends makes me wonder why the relationship lasted as long as it did.  I did like how Min gave all the items back though, and even pointing out everything that was the reason for the break up.

Why We Broke Up is different but unique in its telling, and while I didn't like it as much as I initially thought I would, I still found it an enjoyable read that I would recommend to others.

3 comments:

  1. I'm hearing really mixed things about this book. I think we were expecting a few copies at the bookshop for review but they never cam thorugh.
    It sure does seem like the kind of book you need to read yourself just to make your mind up. I really like the sound of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review. i like how different this book sounds. the pictures sound cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review,I was hearing mixed things too but ended up loving it all the same, the format was brilliant and the pictures really added something, Its a shame you didn't like it as much as you hoped but good to read your thoughts ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...