Monday, 10 September 2012

Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


Title: The Raven Boys
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Raven Cycle #1
Source: Publisher
Format: UK Proof
Publication Date: UK:19th September 2012|USA:18th September 2012

Tell Me About It
Blue has spent the majority of her sixteen years being told that if she kisses her true love, he will die. When Blue meets Gansey’s spirit on the corpse road she knows there is only one reason why – either he is her true love or she has killed him.

Determined to find out the truth, Blue becomes involved with the Raven Boys, four boys from the local private school (lead by Gansey) who are on a quest to discover Glendower – a lost ancient Welsh King who is buried somewhere along the Virginia ley line. Whoever finds him will be granted a supernatural favour.

Never before has Blue felt such magic around her. But is Gansey her true love? She can’t imagine a time she would feel like that, and she is adamant not to be the reason for his death. Where will fate lead them?

My Thoughts
Blue Sargent comes from a family full of mediums and psychics, her own power is to amplify others abilities. Since she was younger Blue has been told the same thing, If she where to kiss her true love, he would die. When she was younger, this did not bother her much, what 6 year old is concerned about falling in love, never mind kissing a boy.  But on St Mark's Eve, during her yearly visit to a run down church to get names of the dead who pass through, or ones due to pass in the upcoming year, she finally sees a ghost, a young boy who will either die by her hands or is her true love.

I love Maggies' writing, so when I found out The Raven Boys was getting a UK publisher I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy. From the minute I began reading I had to know more about Blue, and about this boy Gansey.
 The first chapter of The Raven Boys introduces the reader to Blue and her family and we learn about what ability each person has.  The next chapter is all about Gansey, who owns bright orange camaro called Pig which can be temperamental but also feels like a character in the book itself.  Armed with a digital recorder, Gansey pays a visit to an old church himself on St Mark's Eve, hoping to see ghosts.
All of the sources said that church watchers had to possess "the second sight" and Gansey barely possessed first sight before he put his contacts in.
[Chapter 2, Page 19 uk proof]
Instead he comes back with an odd recording that he doesn't know what to make off. His solution is to find a Psychic who can hopefully tell him more about the recording.

The Raven Boys is so much more than what I initially thought. I knew it had psychics, but it also has mystery, magic, folk lore and key lines.  The boys themselves really intrigued me, each one is their own person and completely opposite to each other, the only thing they have in common is the school. As The Raven Boys progresses we get to see a slither of each boy and we slowly get to see the layers peel back and see them for themselves.  Maggie has done an amazing job of making each boy work well as an individual character, but amazing as a group, they each bring their own individuality into the group, and that alone makes their friendship unique.

I felt so sorry for Adam at the way he was treated at home, and even though he and Gansey come from complete different social backgrounds I love how Gansey is there for Adam and wants to help and support him any way he can.  Ronan was a person that I wasn't too fond off, and felt like he was just there because of Gansey, but when he stands up for Adam I completely changed my mind about him and actually cheered him on.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Raven Boys from the minute I started and I did not want the story to end.  Blue and the Raven Boys may not seem like they would ever be friends in any way, shape or form, but as they learn more about what they are looking for, thanks to blue, and how she can help, she is instantly thought of as part of the group, and I really liked how easily she fits in with them all.
The plot had me hooked from the beginning and I am looking forward to seeing what else Maggie brings to the table in the next instalment, I only have to wait till next year for it.

3 comments:

  1. I have this on hold at the library. I really loved Scorpio Races, so I'm hoping this is just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gr8 review . i adore her writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review Michelle.
    I can't with to get my hands on this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...