Friday, 7 September 2012

Review: Shrunk! by F.R. Hitchcock


Title: Shrunk!
Author: F.R. Hitchcock
Author Info: Website|Twitter
Genre: Children's Fiction
Source: Publisher
Format: ebook
Publication Date: 6th September 2012

Tell Me About It
Tom "Model Village" Perks discovers the ability to shrink things and gleefully shrinks some sheep, a few boats and... the planet Jupiter. But then he loses it. With the 'accidentally' miniaturised school bully shouting up at him, Tom has to find Jupiter and return it to orbit before the earth collides with the sun...

My Thoughts
I got my copy of Shrunk! from Hot Key Books when I attend their blogger event, they didn't have physical copies of all their upcoming books, so they put the manuscripts onto a flash drive for us to take home and read, which I thought was a great idea.

Shrunk begins with an introduction to Tom, lives with sister Tilly , Mum, Dad and Grandma.  They all live in their Grandma's house at the edge of a model village.  When watching a shooting start Tom makes a wish, and a small piece of meteorite lands in their garden.  Tom picks it up and soon realises he has the ability to shrink things.
After accidentally shrinking Jupiter Tom decides he needs to find out how to use this new ability and after a few attempts he eventually figures out how to shrink things.  He begins to shrink benches, boats, sheep, and then the school bully.  However the shrinking of Jupiter has started to affect the earth, and soon they are heading for total destruction of the earth if Tom cant figure out how to fix things and get Jupiter un-shrunk and back into space.

I did not know what to make of Shrunk! when I initially heard about t, while it did sound like it could be a good read I was in two minds whether to read it or not.  While Shrunk is aimed at a much younger age than I am I was very surprised to find myself enjoying the book.  I had fun watching Tom shrink things and then try to hide them in his room.  When Tom finally realises what shrinking Jupiter has done I do like how he tries to make everything better again and tries to find a way to un-shrink things.

Shrunk! is a quick read but perfect for children, with just enough to keep them entertained but not too overwhelming for them.

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of the movie Honey, I Shrunk The Kids! Sounds like a cute read for the younger crowd!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...