Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Review: Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs


Title: Sweet Venom
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Medusa Girls #1
Source: Publisher
Format: UK Proof
Publication Date: UK:6th September 2012|USA:6th Sept 2011

Tell Me About It
Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.
My Thoughts
I am always nervous when starting a new series by authors that I like for their other work. While I had heard of Sweet Venom and knew what it was about I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, when I finally opened the book I managed to read half of it in a few hours, I was hooked from the moment I picked it up and I wish I had started it earlier on when I originally received a copy.

The first person we get to meet is Gretchen as she is on her way to defeat a hydra. After her chapter we pay a visit to Grace as she is starting her new school, Alpha Academy. Hoping to start afresh and be a newer, bolder, more confident person, Grace's plan backfires immediately upon meeting Miranda.  After eventually finding her way to class Grace finds another person who also is on the receiving end of Miranda taunts and ridicule, Vail.  Greer is the last girl to find out about her heritage, and when she comes to the realisation that she has been adopted its like a huge weight has been lifted off her shoulders. Trying hard to not disappoint her parents has been hard work, and finding out the discovery is a sense of relief for her.  While the three of them initially don't co-operate when they discover they are triplets, they soon have a change of heart when more monsters are invading their city.

Sweet Venom alternates chapters sporadically between Gretchen, Grace, and Greer, as we get to peek into each girls life but also get to see each girl  have their own say, and I love how completely opposite the girls are. While I liked grace the most, I did initially think Greer was pretentious and full of herself.  Gretchen took a while for me to like, having a life that she did means she was more bull headed and resistant to the idea of her sisters, but I quickly began to warm up to her.
As a secondary character I loved Vail.  Her snarky attitude, her constant changing hair colour, and her responses to Miranda had me laughing straight away and I am glad that Grace found an ally in her.
There is defiantly something suspicious about Nick and Thane and I hope we get to find out more about them soon.  Nick wont take no for an answer, even after he witnesses a monster attack, and he always seems to be around.  Thane has a mysterious past, but his behaviour towards the end of the book is definitely mysterious, and I hope we get to find out more about him in the next instalment.

I absolutely loved Sweet Venom and I could not put it down.  I don't usually read books with mythology themes to them, but the past couple of ones I have read have been great reads, and Sweet Venom is another book to add to that list.  The ending of Sweet Venom had me on tenterhooks over what would happen and I can't wait to read the next instalment.  I am even tempted to pick up the USA version just to find out now.

The following quote had me laughing so I just have to share it with you.
The instant I step out onto the second floor, I see it, cozying up to a trampy redhead doing her best impersonation of a low-class prostitute.  Monsters have the worst taste in women.
(Gretchen-page 4 of UK proof)

2 comments:

  1. I've been really wanting to read this for some time-didn't realise it was getting a UK release. Glad to see you enjoyed this-and I love that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of this book and it sounds awesome! Love stories that incorporate ancient mythology, so have high hopes for this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...