Saturday, 27 October 2012

Review: Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter


Title: Alice in Zombieland
Author: Gena Showalter
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Series: White Rabbit Chronicles #1
Source: Publisher
Format: ARC
Publication Date: UK:5th October 2012|USA:25th September 2012

Tell Me About It
She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….

I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish.

My Thoughts
Alice always believed her father was crazy and the monsters he raved about where his imagination, until a birthday request proves her wrong. Using her birthday and lack of gift as an excuse, Alice asks to see Emma's recital, once over they leave as soon as possible to make their way home but the car ends up crashing, waking from unconsciousness Alice sees zombies attacking her family and is only saved herself by a passing car.  All the rules her dad made about being home before dark now make sense, and Alice sent to live with her grandparents, must now try to survive.

OMG, I absolutely loved this book. From the moment I began reading I was instantly drawn into the world Gena has created and I did not want to stop reading.  Alice in Zombieland was a page turning book that puts a whole new twist on zombies, and I could not wait to find out what happened next. The characters were easy to like and I soon found myself emotionally invested in them.  Emma, Alice's younger sister, while only in it for a short while, made me laugh with the little things she does or says
"Sublimely." She might be devious, but she never broke a promise.
"Watch me pretend I know what that means."
[Emma: page 14, advance uncorrected proof]

Alice is a zombie kick ass girl who is completely different from the original Alice in Wonderland, and I loved her.  She has gone through so much and lost her family, yet still manages to drag herself out of the darkness and become this amazing zombie killer.  Nothing will get in her way to stop her getting revenge on the creatures that took her family away.  Even her occasionally snarky attitude towards others made me laugh and I loved her even more for standing up for herself against Frosty.
"Then I'll talk nonstop until your ears try to detach just to escape the sound of my voice. And that's totally possible. My ears have tried it."
[Alice: page 190 advance uncorrected proof]

Cole and his motley bunch of friends caught my attention the exact same time as Alice, and the different mix of personalities made this group work amazingly well.  Each member has their own distinct personality and voice and it was easy to distinguish who was who, and match them to the nicknames given to them from Alice.  While they do see Cole as their leader, they follow his requests whether they want to or not, but I did enjoy the ways they go around them.
"Cole says we can't yell at you, so I want you to note the calmness of my voice".
[Frosty: page 191 advance uncorrected proof]

Alice in Zombieland was a fantastic read from start to end and I was torn between wanting to find out what happens, but also wanting to make it last that little bit longer, 2012 can not come any quicker, I need to know what happens next right this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...