Monday, 8 October 2012

Review: The Blood Keeper by Tessa Gratton


Title: The Blood Keeper
Author: Tessa Gratton
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Blood Journals #2
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: 30th August 2012

Tell Me About It
A stunning blend of romance, horror and magic.

For Mab Prowd, the practice of blood magic is as natural as breathing. It's all she's ever known. Growing up on an isolated farm with other practitioners may have kept her from making friends her own age, but it has also given her a sense of purpose - she's protective of the magic, and is able to practice it proudly and happily out in the open with only the crows as her companions. But one morning while Mab is attempting a particularly tricky spell, she encounters Will, a local boy who is trying to exorcise a few personal demons of his own. He experiences Mab's magic in a way his mind cannot comprehend and is all too happy to end their chance meeting. But soon, secrets that were kept from Mab by earlier generations of blood magicians are revealed, and she and Will are drawn back together, united against a dangerous force looking to break free from the earth and reclaim its own dark power.

My Thoughts
I loved the previous book in this series, Blood Magic, and at a recent event held by the publisher I was given a copy of The Blood Keeper.  When I first began reading it actually took me a till chapter 6 to connect the dots and actually place some of the characters in this book and how they connected with Blood Magic and to realise who Silla, Reece, Nick and Donna were..
Mab, is Josephine's daughter, she may be young but is also the Deacon.  We are introduced to her while she is in the process of  making a clay body to discover the secret of the roses.  Unfortunately it gets away from her, only being stopped by Will.  But the curse it contains isn't easily stopped and soon Mab finds both Will and Lukas's lives in danger.

One again Tessa has managed to grab me from the moment I began her book, and although it has taken me a while to read it, every single second of free time I had was devoted to reading The Blood Keeper. When I began reading and saw the name Mab, I immediately thought she would be one to keep an eye on and waited with baited breath to see what havoc she would cause.  I was happily surprised to discover Mab is not like the Mab's I know of.  She is kind and gentle and only uses her magic for good and for helping others.  The more I got to know her the more I liked her and when she has to make tough decisions she always made the one that was right for others, and not just for herself.
When her friendship with Will begins to grow into something more I enjoyed seeing it develop slowly in front of me and watching how all the small gestures mean so much more.

I enjoyed the magic and mystery behind The Blood Keeper, and liked getting to see how Mab unravels it all to finally find out what she needs to stop the curse.  Each character brings so much into the story and it all adds to make it captivating.  Although I do have to admit I loved Reece's part in this story.
The Blood Keeper is a great read and anyone who has read Blood Magic needs to make sure they read this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...