Monday, 22 October 2012

Review: The Nonsuch King by Benjamin J. Myers


Title: The Nonsuch King
Author: Benjamin J. Myers
Author Info: Website
Genre: Science fiction
Series: The Bad Tuesdays #4
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: 5th May 2012

Tell Me About It
Splinter Tuesday is hungry for power, and he has a daring plan to get it - if he can stay alive! His brother, Box, is fighting for his life on a distant planet. His sister, Chess, is learning to walk between the worlds. Only then will she be ready to take on the evil Twisted Symmetry - and win. But the Twisted Symmetry has plans of its own. Time is running out. Splinter, Box and Chess have never been in more danger.

My Thoughts
Chess is still with Anna and Pacer and we get to see the return of a familiar face. However Chess is still haunted by the memories She saw of her mother, and with the aftermath of what happened at the Cones. Splinter is still up to no good and is getting himself deeper among the symmetry. Box is still with the Fleshings, on the prison planet PURG-CT483 but is working out a way to escape and find Chess.

The Nonsuch King does offer us glimpses into what Chess, Anna and Box are up to, but Splinter takes front and centre. He gets to tell his story and we get a first hand look at the lengths he will go to ensure he gets his way, murder means nothing to him& any more and he will stop at nothing to achieve his dreams. Betraying his family and making plans to capture Chess are just a small example of the things he is now capable of.

Splinter is my least favourite Tuesday of them all, and his story may be gritty and I personally think he has fallen off the tracks and is going in the wrong direction on sides to pick, but I have to admit I really enjoyed The Nonsuch King more than the previous ones. The others books in this series have a main focus on Chess, and while I have enjoyed them, getting to see inside Splinters mind and how he thinks has been a refreshing change, and all the schemes and plots that he has had in the background are all revealed in The Nonsuch King, and they are not pretty. He is seriously out of his mind and it all stems down to jealousy of Chess and how she is now more important than him now.

I don't want to say too much in this review as I really don't want to give away all of his secrets and schemes, just know I managed to read this book quicker than the previous ones, and I really did not want it to end. When it does I did not like what I read and although I am looking forward to reading the next instalment, I am dreading what I will find when I begin. Will Box finally find Chess, what does Splinter plan to do with Chess, and can they finally put a stop to Twisted Symmetry?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...