Thursday, 11 October 2012

Review: Shadows by Ilsa J. Bick


Title: Shadows
Author: Ilsa J. Bick
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Apocalyptic
Series: Ashes Trilogy #2
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: UK:27th September 2012|USA:25th September 2012

Tell Me About It
The Apocalypse does not end. The Changed will grow in numbers. The Spared may not survive.

Even before the EMPs brought down the world, Alex was on the run from the demons of her past and the monster living in her head. After the world was gone, she believed Rule could be a sanctuary for her and those she’d come to love.
But she was wrong.

Now Alex is in the fight of her life against the adults, who would use her, the survivors, who don’t trust her, and the Changed, who would eat her alive.

Welcome to Shadows, the second book in the haunting apocalyptic Ashes Trilogy: where no one is safe and humans may be the worst of the monsters.

My Thoughts
Shadows has been a book I have been eagerly waiting to read, one that I had high expectations for, and sadly it just didn't meet them.  While the beginning of Shadows catches up with Tom, where we see how he is struggling with losing Alex and Ellie and what he is doing to survive.  We then get to catch up with Alex and that's where the action starts, trapped by 5 changed it soon becomes a fight for her life, and with lots of graphic detail and blood it quickly gets your attention.  After that though I began to get confused.  There is a lot going on, and Shadows constantly finishes one chapter and starts another with a new group of people, and by the time I had figured out what group of people they where the chapter was nearly finished.  I got confused and mixed story lines for the characters, thinking they were one group captured by changed, when they were actually a different group completely.

I made it about half way before I gave up, trying to remember every single person, either new faces or old ones from Ashes, and then trying to remember their story was too much work. I have spent over a week trying to make my way through this book, and while there are bits I did enjoy, like the fight scenes with lots of gory detail, I found myself getting lost and then distracted through other parts..
Shadows is a book I think I will have to revisit and try again when I can devote all my time to it, sadly this is another DNF at this moment in time.

1 comment:

  1. Struggled to remember the characters for the first few chapters, but even when it slotted into place I was really stunned by the clarity of the horror depicted. I loved Ashes, and I finished reading Shadows - which still had flashes of brilliance, but I was left with conflicted feelings by the end. On the one hand it was a roller-coaster ride, and on the other hand the story didn't progress much. Plus, with all the action, you'd think it was a page-turner, but like you I had to put it down for a break at times, because it was taxing. So I guess if you're not challenged to remember who everyone is, you'll be challenged by the gore! Sorry you didn't finish it, Michelle, but I understand!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...