Sunday, 14 October 2012

Review: Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes


Title: Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
Authors: Various
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: 16th October 2012

Tell Me About It
In this anthology, 20 authors explore the dark and hidden meanings behind some of the most beloved Mother Goose nursery rhymes through short story retellings. The dark twists on classic tales range from exploring whether Jack truly fell or if Jill pushed him instead to why Humpty Dumpty, fragile and alone, sat atop so high of a wall. The authors include Nina Berry, Sarwat Chadda, Leigh Fallon, Gretchen McNeil, and Suzanne Young.

My Thoughts
When I first heard about Two and Twenty Dark Tales I was very intrigued about what twist the rhymes would have. Some of the authors I have heard of, or even read their other work, yet some I had not heard of so I was wary about whether I would enjoy their stories.  When I began reading I was happy to see I knew every rhyme that they had taken for their story's and soon found myself engrossed with each story and the different characters.
Once I started I could not stop reading and quickly finished the book, and I can't decide which story I liked the best, with each story having its own little twist they all stood out on their own.  I enjoyed the twist on Jack and Jill (The Well), and the old woman who lived in a show (Life in a Shoe), they certainly make you think differently about the rhyme.  Sing a song of Six-Pence didn't end how I expected it to, and was quite sad with the way it ended, but after thinking about it then it made sense.

Two and Twenty Dark Tales is a great read for someone looking to try out new authors to see what their writing is like, but for anyone who is a fan of any of the authors involved with this book.  Even better is that Month9Books have donated the proceeds from the first five thousand books to charity, YALitchat.org, a literacy organization that fosters the advancement of young adult literature around the world.  For more information visit yalitchat.com

2 comments:

  1. I've always thought the creepiest nursery rhyme was Wee Willie Winkie. Did they tackle that one?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...