Saturday, 10 November 2012

Review: Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor


Title: Days of Blood and Starlight
Author: Laini Taylor
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone #2
Source: Publisher
Format: Hardback
Publication Date: UK:8th November 2012|USA:6th November 2012

Tell Me About It
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a new way of living – one without massacres and torn throats and bonfires of the fallen, without revenants or bastard armies or children ripped from their mothers’ arms to take their turn in the killing and dying.

Once, the lovers lay entwined in the moon’s secret temple and dreamed of a world that was a like a jewel-box without a jewel – a paradise waiting for them to find it and fill it with their happiness.

This was not that world.

My Thoughts
**While I try very hard not to include spoilers in my reviews, this may contain some. You have been warned and continue at you own risk. :D**
*
*
*
When I first began reading Days of Blood and Starlight I found it hard to concentrate and found myself getting distracted, mainly due to having to try to remember which name went with which person. Once I had that sorted I soon found myself falling back into Karou's world.

Karou, out of contact in real world and with Zuzanna and Mik, is now working as a resurrectionist in Brimstones place. Meanwhile Zuzanna is finding clues in Karou's emails to try and discover where Karou is, ready to pack up and go and find her. The angels are also on their own mission and set out to destroy every chimera they find.

While I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone, I did find Days of Blood and Starlight a more tougher read. There is that much going on with all creatures and humans involved that it was sometimes hard to switch back to the person who was narrating and remember who they are and what they are doing. While the scenery and places are described with fantastic detail that it sometimes felt like you where there, I felt like the build up to the wars had too much detail it sometimes felt too overwhelming. I understand that all this needs to be done to lead up to the next book in the series, but I would have liked to have been able to absorb what was going on before jumping into the next main event.

One thing that I consistently liked through Days of Blood and Starlight were Zuzanna and Mik. I love this duo, they are a fantastic couple and work so well together, it feels like they really get each other. They are ready to believe Karou when she tells them the truth and willing to jump in and offer help, I absolutely loved how they tried to learn chimera with actions for their own words to portray what they meant and I often found myself laughing out loud.

There is so much standing on the next instalment, and while I do prefer Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Laini has done a great job of keeping you in suspense, especially in the final chapters of Days of Blood and Starlight, about what will happen and while I am looking forward to finding out what happens next, I wouldn't say the next instalment was one that I am impatient to read.

1 comment:

  1. great review, I am dying to get a hold of this but I dont have the first and I want to buy both of them together, maybe I'll get them for christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...