Monday, 26 November 2012

Review: Elemental by Antony John


Title: Elemental
Author: Antony John
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: 21st November 2012

Tell Me About It

A lost colony is reborn in this heart-pounding fantasy adventure set in the near future . . .

Sixteen-year-old Thomas has always been an outsider. The first child born without the power of an Element—earth, water, wind or fire—he has little to offer his tiny, remote Outer Banks colony. Or so the Guardians would have him believe.

In the wake of an unforeseen storm, desperate pirates kidnap the Guardians, intent on claiming the island as their own. Caught between the plague-ridden mainland and the advancing pirates, Thomas and his friends fight for survival in the battered remains of a mysterious abandoned settlement. But the secrets they unearth will turn Thomas’ world upside-down, and bring to light not only a treacherous past but also a future more dangerous than he can possibly imagine.
My Thoughts
People can summon fire, unearth food, predict storms and even catch fish barehanded, Thomas is unable to do any of this, he is the first and only person to be born without power of the elements. During a particular bad storm the children are sent to Skeleton Town on a small island just around the corner from their own, but soon they discover more about this island and their own, than they were meant to know, and now its up to them to help the Guardians.

Going into Elemental I had an idea of what the book would be about, but when I got a few chapters into it I realised it wasn't what I expected but was still a good read. While there were elementals in the story, to me it's more like a mystery and not what I expected. I enjoyed watching the characters learn more about themselves and their abilities, and truly get to discover who they are without the supervision of the Guardians. The plan to save the guardians was full or peril but along the way they discover a secret that has been hidden deeply.

While there were some elements to the story that I enjoyed, there were parts that I got distracted with and I didn't feel like it needed that much information. Overall Elemental was a quick read that I enjoyed, and the ending leaves me wanting to know more.

1 comment:

  1. It's unexpected for it to read like a mystery, and intriguing. I may just pick this up too. Nice review, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...