Friday, 16 November 2012

Review: Mystic City by Theo Lawrence


Title: Mystic City
Author: Theo Lawrence
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Mystic City #1
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: UK:11th October 2012|USA:9th October 2012

Tell Me About It
Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself.

My Thoughts
While I love the description of Mystic City, and I fell in love with the cover I was wary about reading it as its a futuristic take on Romeo and Juliet, but I shouldn't have worried, from the moment I began reading I found myself really enjoying the book.

There are a few things that I really enjoyed about Mystic City:
* The introduction of Mystics into the story and how they are willingly (or not so willingly) drained several times a year, and how their mystic energy is used as a power source for Aria and the rest of the people of Aeries.
* The stark difference between Arias and Hunters home and how their community is so different. While Arias is full of technical gadgets and money, Hunter has what is left of nature and a community that feels more homely.

At first I wasn't too sure if I liked Aria, but when we find out exactly what she lives with I began to change my perceptions of her, living in Aeries doesn't mean she has the best life, her friends seem fickle and all the money her family has only serves to brainwash her into what they want from her and what they want her to do or be, and instead of living her own life and having her own mind, the constant shadow of her Mother and Father is always hanging over her.
Hunter is a great secondary character with some fantastic friends that risk their lives to help him and fight for what they believe.

When the truth is discovered I really admire Aria for standing up for not only herself, but her friends and the climatic ending to Mystic City makes me wish I hadn't read it so soon, that way I would not have to wait so long for the next instalment. Mystic City was a great read from start to finish, one that I didn't want to end and I ma counting down the days till the next instalment.

2 comments:

  1. I was always curious about this one but I honest to goodness had no idea what it was about. It seems to me that the worldbuilding alone makes it worth reading. Thank you for the lovely review! It definitely piqued my curiosity even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this one and am eagerly awaiting the sequel, too. This really is an addicting book and I hope that the next one will be just as awesome. Lovely review, my dear!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...