Monday, 19 November 2012

Review: Renegade by J. A. Souders


Title: Renegade
Author: J. A. Souders
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Dystopian
Series: The Elysium Chronicles #1
Source: Netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: November 13th 2012

Tell Me About It
Since the age of three, sixteen-year-old Evelyn Winters has been trained to be Daughter of the People in the underwater utopia known as Elysium. Selected from hundreds of children for her ideal genes, all her life she’s thought that everything was perfect; her world. Her people. The Law.

But when Gavin Hunter, a Surface Dweller, accidentally stumbles into their secluded little world, she’s forced to come to a startling realization: everything she knows is a lie. Her memories have been altered. Her mind and body aren't under her own control. And the person she knows as Mother is a monster.

Together with Gavin she plans her escape, only to learn that her own mind is a ticking time bomb... and Mother has one last secret that will destroy them all.
My Thoughts
What caught my attention first about Renegade was the cover. I love how the main focus is on the girl, and in the background is her home of Elysium.
Evelyn lives in Elysium and is the Daughter of the People, the Elysiums avoid contact with people from the surface and follow Mothers rules. A few pages into Renegade we soon discover that Elysium is under the sea, built in a gigantic glass dome. Mother is in charge and whatever she says goes, and Evelyn, her chosen daughter, must follow the rules and set an example to all. Upon the arrival of Gavin, things start to fall apart and what Evelyn thought was real turns out to be a lie.

I was very surprised by how much I love Renegade. The beginning is a creepy version of Groundhog Day and I initially had doubts about whether I could endure the repetitive narration, chapter after chapter, but as the story progressed I got to see the truth about what is really going on, and from then onwards I could not put the book down. I had a lot of questions that I wanted answers to. What is happening? Will Evelyn finally realise the truth? Will Gavin be rescued? Can Mother get any creepier? The further I got into Renegade I found answers to my questions and much more. I found myself falling into the world J. A. Souders has created and grudgingly pulled myself away from the book when I had to do things like work, or sleep.

Evelyn and Gavin, although total opposites, are amazing together. Yes their friendship starts of on shaky ground, but after they learn to trust and learn more about each other they soon have the perfect partnership. Evelyn is able to get them from place to place, while Gavin is her protector, wanting to be there and save her from harm.
The secondary characters play important roles in Renegade and the story would not be what it is without them. Some of them I am looking forward to hopefully getting to know more, while others I am happy to leave behind.

Don't be fooled by the underwater city that seems all sunshine and roses, Elysium has deep dark secrets waiting to be revealed and Renegade is a fantastic addition to the Dystopian genre and I am looking forward to finding out what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked this! I just finished it a few hours ago and while my expectations weren't completely met, I still liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...