Sunday, 30 December 2012

Review: Beyond by Graham McNamee


Title: Beyond
Author: Graham McNamee
Genre: Horror
Source: Publisher
Format: Proof copy
Publication Date: 3rd January 2013

Tell Me About It
What if your own shadow turned against you?

Jane is not your typical teen. She and her best friend Lexi call themselves the Creep Sisters.

Only Lexi knows why Jane is different from anyone else: Her own shadow seems to pull her into near-fatal accidents. Jane is determined to find out why these terrifying things happen, and to overcome her shadow enemy.

But her sleuthing with Lexi connects her own horrors to the secret history of a serial killer ...

My Thoughts
I really enjoy reading paranormal books so when I received an email from the publisher with upcoming releases and the synopsis for Beyond says the protagonists own shadow pulls her into near-fatal accidents I knew I had to read it.
From the moment I began reading I instantly liked the protagonist, Jane, she has a funny sense of humour and tries to add laughter in a serious situations, for example during an examination of an x-ray she has one questions, if it makes her look fat.  This cracked me up, and it's only a few pages in.

Lexi, Jane's friend, is very supportive towards Jane, being there for her and listening to her new nightmares or 'visions', trying to find a non-paranormal, reasonable explanations for them.  I loved how this duo would plan together to try and solve whatever problem Jane had.  Lexi is also a quirky person, who has talent with making videos and designing web pages for school assignments.  Her dress style and interests throughout the book are more towards the goth and weird side, but this just makes her an even more memorable character.

Beyond was a quick read for me, one that I finished in a few hours, but it was also a memorable one, not only with the characters but also with the plot itself.  This mysterious shadow plagues Jane and comes us with more ways to try to take her back, each one possibly more gruesome than the previous, and while its isn't in detail about what happens, just imagining it alone is enough.  The characters are likeable and i quickly became emotionally invested in them.  I thoroughly enjoyed Beyond and I intended to check out more books by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...