Wednesday, 26 December 2012

Review: Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder


Title: Scent of Magic
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Author Info: Website|Blog|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Healer #2
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: 18th December 2012

Tell Me About It
Hunted, Killed—Survived?

As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avery of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avery is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.

Though she should be in hiding, Avery will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avery is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again.

My Thoughts
Scent of Magic has been a book I have been impatiently eagerly waiting to read, and while part of me feels like the wait has taken years, another part of me can't believe its release day has come so fast.  When I received my copy in the post I couldn't wait to start it, and quickly read though my current reads.
Scent of Magic alternates between Kerrick and Avery's point of view, while I found it surprising,  I enjoyed getting to see both sides of the story as this duo split up and go their own way in order to stop Tohon from taking control over all the Realms, and the joint point of view made sure we got to see all the details and how they connect together.

When I initially started reading Scent of Magic it took me a few pages to catch up with what had happened previously in Touch of Magic, but once I was caught up I was hooked and soon found myself falling back into Avery's world.  There was much more going on plot wise within this book, with two paths to follow with different aims and objectives, Avery has to blend in with an army and be there to train and help them in order to give them the best chance of survival in the upcoming battle, and Kerrick has to return home, in the hopes he can muster up an army to join with Avery.  I enjoyed getting to see what new skills Avery has picked up and how her ability is growing and  manifesting.  There was a part in the book that took me by complete surprise and I was so ecstatic that I had to take a few moments to calm down before continuing, and while this surprise is good for one person, Avery tries to use it for others, but doesn't get what she wants (I know this is very vague, but I really don't want to spill what happens).

Scent of Magic took me on an emotional roller coaster ride that I wasn't expecting, I laughed, cried, cheered, cried, laughed and then cried some more.  Avery goes through so much happiness and heartbreak, to see her still standing and determined to keep fighting right up to the end shows what a tough character she is.  The ending had me in tears, and I am disappointed that it ended that way, I can't believe I have to wait another year to find out what happens next, but I am also looking forward to seeing what Maria can bring to the table and what else Avery is capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...