Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Audiobook Review: Itch by Simon Mayo


Title: Itch
Author: Simon Mayo
Narrator: Daniel Hill
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Purchased by myself
Format: Audiobook
Publication Date: 19th April 2012

Tell Me About It
Meet Itch - an accidental, accident-prone hero. Science is his weapon. Elements are his gadgets. This is Alex Rider with Geek-Power!

Itchingham Lofte - known as Itch - is fourteen, and loves science - especially chemistry. He's also an element-hunter: he's decided to collect all the elements in the periodic table. Which has some interesting and rather destructive results in his bedroom . . .

Then, Itch makes a discovery. A new element, never seen before. At first no one believes him - but soon, someone hears about the strange new rock and wants it for himself. And Itch is in serious danger . . .
My Thoughts
I had previously heard of Itch, and a few bloggers had recommend it, but I was hesitant to pick up a copy.  Over the Christmas period Audible had an offer from the TV, you got two free credits by using a special code so I decided to pick up Itch and give it a try.
I had no idea what to expect from the author and I am pleased to say I was pleasantly surprised.  The combination of a great narrator and a great story lead to a gripping 'read' that I did not want to stop.  Even going to bed at night I just had to listen for another half hour, and as you can imagine, early bedtimes did not exist whilst listening to Itch.
The first time we are introduced to Itch has got to be one of the most memorable introductions ever.  Itch is a collector, instead of the usual, stamps, coins etc, he collects elements from the periodic table,  and after a chemical reaction burns his eye brow off, it is certainly going to stick in your mind.
One thing that amused be thoroughly was that Itch had a 'dealer', called Cake, who would sell elements to Itch.  Their meet ups would be dodgy and all hush hush, but I have to admit I really liked Cake, his whole personality just made me smile a lot.

One of the most important things about audiobooks, is ensuring that you have a great narrator.  Having the story read in a monotone voice, with no emotion would make me want to turn it off and never listen to it again.  Daniel Hill the narrator for Itch does a fantastic job of keeping you engrossed and entertained.  Each character has a different voice and it was easy to distinguish between them, I loved the different accents, they were brilliant and I often found myself laughing at some of them.

While Itch may have been a book I was undecided about, I am now on the Itch bandwagon and I can't wait to get a copy of the book to be able to sit and read it.  I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, and I intend to listen to it again very soon.  I am also super excited about the next instalment Itch Rocks and I can't wait to see what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds funny! And it's actually the first time I've come across the title. Thanks for sharing, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...