Thursday, 31 January 2013

Review: Code Red by Amy Noelle


Title: Code Red
Author: Amy Noelle
Author Info: Blog|Facebook
Genre: Chick Lit
Source: Netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: 11th April 2013

Tell Me About It
After getting hurt in college by a gorgeous man, Nicole Magette vowed never to risk losing her heart again. Now she lives a structured and satisfying life. Her work is easy, her friends are her family, and the only consistent men in her life are her two cats, Winchester and Huntington Peabody the Third. She doesn't date, and she hooks up only with losers—men she has absolutely no risk of falling for. But if she finds herself in danger, she has her old fail-safe in place—the Code Red.

In college, she and her four best friends came up with the system as a way to keep away the good-looking bastards that might worm their way past their carefully constructed walls. Seven years later, three of her friends have succumbed to their last Code Reds and are happily married. Now it’s just Nicole and her closest friend, Jen, who are still on their own, and Nic is just fine with that.

That is, until Joshua Daniels is transferred to Nicole’s office from New York and assigned to work with her on a special project. He's everything she's avoided and everything she claims she doesn't want, so why can’t she get him out of her mind? He's persistent, dangerously handsome, and sexy as sin. In other words, he’s her worst nightmare. She turns to her friends to help her resist Josh’s considerable charms and the inescapable draw she feels every time she gets near him. Can the Code Red save her this time, or will Josh send her perfectly balanced life into chaos?

My Thoughts
Walking out of your dorm room to find your boyfriend leaving another girls room has got to surprise anyone, but for Nicole it was something she never saw coming.  After confronting him and breaking up she gathers a few close friends and after a few drinks Code Red is created.  When one of them doesn't want to fall for a guy they call a Code Red, and everyone will run to her rescue and get her away from the man.  Four years after Code Red was started, Nicole is single but not in a hurry to find Mr Right, until Josh comes onto the scene.

I have had my eye on Code Red since I first saw it on goodreads and was super excited to find it on netgalley.  I went into reading this book with high expectations, and while I did enjoy parts of the book, overall it wasn't what I thought it would be.
I enjoyed the build up between Nicole and Josh. The sexual tension that took forever to get anywhere that was explosive when it finally did, and the slow build up of their friendship that felt real and not rushed.  The great friendship she has with the girls is something I wish I had with some of my friends growing up, while part of me thinks some of them could have been more supportive over Nicole's Code Red, if I was constantly getting Code Red emails, or hearing about how much a friend fancied a guy but did nothing about it, I would probably have the same attitude.
Code Red was a quick read that I liked, and while I did like the story itself, it took me a while to actually feel anything towards the characters.  Amy Noelle has written twilight fan fiction that I have loved, and although I knew that Code Red was an original novel, when I began reading I pictured the characters as other people, trying to make them fit a mould that wasn't actually meant for them. I think this threw me and once I had it in my head that Code Red and the characters inside where their own words and people it made it easier for the book to actually work without me trying to make characters into others.
Code Red has some great five star reviews on goodreads, unfortunately for me it wasn't a five star read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...