Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Review: Exposure by Amy Helmes and Kim Askew


Title: Exposure
Author: Kim Askew and Amy Helmes
Author Info: Website|Kim Twitter|Amy Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Twisted Lit #2
Source: Authors via netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: 18th January 2013

Tell Me About It
Double, double, toil and trouble. Sometimes, the quest for high school royalty can be deadly! In this emotionally-charged twist on Shakespeare’s Macbeth, a self-conscious shutterbug named Skye Kingston navigates a treacherous school year in Alaska fraught with unspoken secrets and tragic twists of fate. Along the way she encounters three strangely prophetic BFFs; one social-climbing, sociopathic cheerleader; and a heart-stopping hottie named Craig McKenzie: the man who would be Prom King. Can Skye save the boy she loves — and herself — before they get caught in the crosshairs?

My Thoughts
When I was contacted about reviewing Exposure it was with a request for Tempestuous too.  As soon as I finished reading Tempestuous I immediately started reading Exposure.  The writing by both Kim and Amy had me hooked and wanting more of their work.  The protagonist for Exposure is a photographer  Skye, who works for the school news paper.  While Skye has a friend, Craig, high up on the social ladder, she herself is at the bottom.

When I began reading Exposure I instantly liked Skye, she felt like a real person and not just a character.  She has to deal with every issue that we face in school, and I certainly experienced some of them myself, yet she keeps on going and finds her own friends who accept her for who and what she is, and don't judge her for her interests.  When we are first introduced to Craig and get to see how he acts towards Skye I disliked him, a lot.  To stand by and watch your girlfriend hurl insults at someone who used to be your best friend and make their life a misery is just wrong, and I felt like he could have tried a bit harder.

The mystery in the story had me trying to guess who was the culprit and what their reasons were, and while we get a sneaky listen in along with Skye, the whole truth isn't revealed.  Although Sky omits part of the truth when the school is questioned, she does it for good reasons, and I think if it was me in her shoes I certainly would not have done it, especially for how she is treated (yes its very vague but I don't want to reveal the secrets ;)).

I enjoyed reading Exposure, there were a lot of elements that blended together really well to make a great read.  One thing I particularly liked was Skye.  She is a pretty girl, yet due to her likes she is an outcast in school and her friends aren't exactly climbing up the social ladder themselves.  I loved how they all stuck together and helped each other out when needed.  Exposure shows how cruel school can be if you don't fit the mould, but also how great friendships can be when you make the right ones.  One thing that I missed was getting a chance to see some of the photographs described in the book that were taken by Skye, especially the ones for her final project, but that is just me wanting to see some scenery of Anchorage and some hot boys.
Overall Exposure was a quick read, but one that had me hooked, and I am looking forward to future books from these great authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...