Thursday, 3 January 2013

Review: Shadows by Paula Weston


Title: Shadows
Author: Paula Weston
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Series: The Rephaim #1
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 3rd January 2013

Tell Me About It
Love. Nightmares. Angels. War. A fast-paced, compelling debut novel from a fresh new voice in YA.

It’s been almost a year since Gaby Winters was in the car crash that killed her twin brother, Jude. Her body has healed in the sunshine of Pandanus Beach, but her grief is raw and constant.

It doesn’t help that every night in her dreams she kills demons and other hell-spawn. And then Rafa comes to town. Not only does he look exactly like the guy who’s been appearing in Gaby’s dreams, he claims a history with her brother that makes no sense.

Gaby is forced to accept that what she thought she knew about herself and her life is only a shadow of the truth – and that the truth is more likely to be found in the shadows of her nightmares.

Who is Rafa? Who are the Rephaim? And most importantly – who can she trust?

My Thoughts
From the minute I read the synopsis an saw the amazing cover, I knew I had to read Shadows.
Gaby, still grieving for her brother, makes a new home for herself in Pandanus Beach, with room mate Maggie, who soon becomes a good friend.  A stranger turn up, calling himself Rafa, who knows Jude, but he seems to know more about Gaby than she knows about herself.  Gaby is soon faced with the shocking truth that what she believed to be the truth was a lie, and now she doesn't even know who she is, or if her memories of Jude are even real.

Throughout Shadows we get to meet some pretty interesting characters, now you may think that a book about angels, demons and hell-spawn, there is bound to be some interesting characters, well let me say that certain humans beat the non-humans for being quirky....interesting...or just plain freaky.  Jacques, an artist that shows his work in library where Gaby works is a complete freak, and has no qualms about it.  He makes work out of actual human hair, nails, anything discarded from human body, and completely grossed me out.

The time line of Shadows happens over a period of a few days, but so much happens that it feels likes its longer. One minute Gaby is living happily in her house with Maggie, the next she is fighting for her life.  I loved the different personalities of the angels, and just like Gaby, I never knew who was telling the truth and who was telling lies, and while it becomes more clearer as the plot develops, I still couldn't trust anyone enough to say yes, pick them, choose their side.  The backwards and forwards that Gaby experiences is intense, not only with having the truth thorn in her face, but also with how she is dealt when others don't believe her.  It had me gripped and I demolished the last two hundred pages in record time, wanting to know that Gaby and Maggie would be all right and that the truth would be revealed.
One thing I can say about the author, Paula Weston, is she certainly knows how to captivate an audience and keep them coming back for more, and I am glad that Shadows released later in the UK than other places as I don't have to wait as long for the next instalment.  From the moment I began reading I was hooked and I regrettably pulled myself away for real life, like sleeping and work, although I would have gladly given up sleep in order to read a few more chapters.
Shadows is the first angel book I have read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. With nothing to compare it to I would definitely consider looking into similar books like this.  With Shadows being my first completed book for 2013 it has set the bar high for others to rise and meet it.


Is book two, Haze, ready yet?

1 comment:

  1. I really didnt enjoy this one and ended up putting it down, not to bepicked up again I'm afraid… however I can see why you did and I hope others do too, I wanted to love it but it didn't happen! I hope its ok for me to link to this review in my DNF post?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...