Sunday, 20 January 2013

Review: 'Till the World Ends


Title: 'Till The World Ends
Author: Various
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Netgalley
Format: eGalley
Publication Date: 29th January 2013

Tell Me About It
Dawn of Eden by Julie Kagawa

Before The Immortal Rules, there was the Red Lung, a relentless virus determined to take out all in its path. For Kylie, the miracle of her survival is also her burden-as a doctor at one of the clinics for the infected, she is forced to witness endless suffering. What's worse, strange things are happening to the remains of the dead, and by the time she befriends Ben Archer, she's beginning to wonder if a global pandemic is the least of her problems....

Thistle and Thorne by Ann Aguirre

After a catastrophic spill turns the country into a vast chemical wasteland, those who could afford it retreated to fortresses, self-contained communities run by powerful corporations. But for Mari Thistle, life on the outside-in the Red Zone-is a constant struggle. To protect her family, Mari teams up with the mysterious Thorne Goodman. Together, they'll face an evil plot in both the underworld of the Red Zone and the society inside the fortresses that could destroy those on the outside...for good.

Sun Storm by Karen Duvall

Sarah Daggot has been chasing storms since she was a child. But after the biggest solar flares in history nearly destroy the planet, she becomes a Kinetic, endowed by her exposure to extreme radiation with the power to sense coming storms-in the cosmos and beyond. And she's not the only one. Sarah believes the Kinetics are destined to join forces and halt the final onslaught of the sun. She'll vow to keep trying to convince the one missing link in their chain of defense, the enigmatic Ian Matthews, up until the world ends.

My Thoughts
The main reason for requesting 'Till The World Ends, was so that I could read Julie's book.  Having not read anything by Karen I had no idea what her writing style would be like, and while I have previously read Ann's books, I wasn't too impressed with it.

Dawn of Eden by Julie Kagawa
The first story is by Julie Kagawa, it tells of how the Red Lung plague spread and follows Kylie and her fellow assistants as they run a shelter to help those dying of the plague.  A patient is taken to the clinic by his friend Ben, but soon things escalate far beyond what they expected and Ben makes the decision to go home giving Kylie the option to join him.  Along the way they get to see the true extent and devastation that red lung and this new virus has caused.
I really enjoyed getting to see how The Immortal Rules started, and Dawn of Eden gives us a look into what started it all, showing us how Red Lung evolves and creates what we know as 'the new normal for The Immortal Rules.  I admire Kylie for sticking around and helping others who are infected, since she herself was immune, I doubt I would have been able to do it myself and I like how she sticks around and helps Ben's family.  Reading this short story makes me want to read The Immortal Rules again.


Thistle and Thorne by Ann Aguirre
People who have money live inside fortress, while others steal or trade to survive, taking on jobs to put food on the table.  Mari has taken a job to steal from the fortress in order to be able to buy food for her siblings, Elode and Alonzo.  Thorne and Mari team up together to try to defeat Stavros, Mari so that her family is safe, and Thorne to take back control.
I had previously read Ann's work and I wasn't my cup of tea,, so I began reading Thistle and Thorne with some hesitation.  Within a few pages I need not have worried, as I soon found myself falling into the world Ann had created, and cheering Mari on, while also keeping my fingers crossed that she made it out alive.  When Thorne comes onto the scene I love the interaction they have together and while they work well together to achieve a mutual aim, that is all the connects them and I loved how in an instant things could fall apart, or they cold change their minds and they could go their separate ways.  Thistle and Thorne has changed my opinion of Ann's writing, and I may possibly try her work again.


Sun Storm by Karen Duvall
Sun Storm has to be my favourite book out of the three purely due to the subject matter.  I have always been interested in world catastrophes  volcanoes, earthquakes and the basic destruction of Earth itself, as soon as 'radioactive sparks' and 'Sun Fever' was mentioned I was hooked.  The world that we know is now more, going out in the sun is too dangerous, and people now live their lives in the night, working, shopping etc.  People who venture out into the sun either die from Sun fever or survive and end up with altered DNA.  A kinetic is someone affected by the sun and survived, and they end up with an ability.  Our protagonist Sarah can predict where storms are going to happen, this gives her the chance to warn people and get them inside for safety.  It also means she gets her fix of the sun's energy.  A fellow kinetic soon finds Sarah and together they most find other kinetics and save the world.
From the minute I began reading Sun Storm I couldn't stop and quickly devoured the story.  So much happens in a short space of time, but it keeps you engrossed in the story and wanting to know what was going to happen next.  The only thing I didn't like was how short it actually was and I would love to see this story expanded and find out more about Sarah and Ian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...