Saturday, 26 January 2013

Review: The Very First Bite by Cynthia Langston


Title: The Very First Bite
Author: Cynthia Langston
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Source: Publicist
Format: eBook
Publication Date: 20th August 2012

Tell Me About It
The Very First Bite chronicles the toils and triumphs of Lanie Albers, who has just ten weeks to mentally and physically prepare for the ultimate day of reckoning: her high school class reunion.

With twenty pounds of extra weight, a dead-end job and a boyfriend who won’t commit, the prospect of revisiting old classmates has Lanie reeling with panic. Not to mention the loose ends she’ll finally have to face, like Chad, her first love, for whom she suspects she might still have feelings. And Candace, her lifelong best friend, who abruptly ended their friendship seven years ago with no explanation.

By examining the ghosts of her past, Lanie begins to prepare for the revelations and confrontations of the big night. She also launches a desperate campaign to lose weight: an uproarious battle with fad diets and disastrous workouts, most of which lead her right back to the cookie jar.

My Thoughts
Ten weeks and four days.  This is how long Lanie gives herself to lose 20 pounds for her high school reunion, after all, her friend Sara can lose all her baby weight in six months, easy right??
Lanie soon discovers its not as easy as she initially thought, with a last meal of Pizza and Ben & Jerry's she wakes the next day determined to make a start, only to discover her breakfast and mid morning snack are all the calories she I allowing herself to eat.  The battle of wills begins, frustrated and upset takes Lanie straight back to the junk food.  Will she ever lose the weight she wants or is it a futile effort?

The Very First Bite was a quick read, but one that had me entertained.  I laughed so much, not only in the funny places and the constant diet changes, but also how realistically truthful the story is.  Anyone who has ever had issues with their body, either too skinny or too fat, not liking parts of their body, can relate to Lanie, everything about her is makes her a more realistic person, and not like a character in a book.  Even the attempts at finding the perfect sex position that won't show how droopy, wobbly, fat etc certain parts of her body are had me in stitches.

Lanie was instantly believable to me, on paper she has the perfect life, but when we actually get to see what's beneath the paper and see the true Lanie, I could easily relate to her.  Her boyfriend is unwilling to commit, her best friend no longer speaks to her, she is unhappy with her body image and the lack of social life.  While we do get to see flashes of her past with Chad (old boyfriend) and Candace (ex best friend) The Very First Bite focuses mainly on Lanie's current situation, but these flashbacks help us piece together her past, and why she is how she is now.

I love her relationship with her family, especially her sister, as it just reminds me so much of my relationship with my own siblings.
"You disgust me," I tell her. "Can you please say or do one thing to remind me of why I love you?"
"You love me because you have to," she spits. "I'm your sister. It's not an act of choice."
(Lanie to sister page 49)
While they don't get along perfectly all the time, her sister is there for her when Lanie needs advice and ideas to lose weight.

The Very First Bite had me hooked from page one, right to the very end, and while I am not going to say what happens in the end, just know that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...