Thursday, 21 February 2013

Review: Dance of Shadows by Yelena Black


Title: Dance of Shadows
Author: Yelena Black
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Dance of Shadows #1
Source: Publisher
Format: Proof
Publication Date: 14th February 2013

Tell Me About It
Vanessa doesn’t believe that her sister is a runaway. She wouldn’t leave her family behind without saying a word. The only way Vanessa can discover the truth behind her mysterious disappearance is to follow in Margaret’s footsteps, but to do so she risks her sanity and maybe even her life . . .

Vanessa Adler is one of the talented few to get a place at the acclaimed New York Ballet Academy. Between backbreaking rehearsals for the school’s production of The Firebird she desperately tries to find out what happened to her sister before she vanished. There are rumors that the pressure of performing the lead role, the same role Vanessa is now rehearsing for, drove her mad. Other girls have gone missing too. Can the role be cursed? Vanessa’s new relationship with leading-man Zep only seems to complicate things further. What is he hiding from her and can she really trust him?

My Thoughts
Dance of Shadows has been a book I have been eager to start, with lots of hype surrounding its release and a cover to die for.  I began reading with very high expectations about what I wanted to find inside the pages, and after a slow start I was disappointed to find that Dance of Shadows didn't quite meet my expectations. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading this book most of the time, it just wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be.  There was obviously something there that kept me wanting to know more, not only about the characters but also the plot, but there wasn't enough to actually draw me into their world and want to know the ins and outs of everything. The spark that usually draws me into the pages of whatever book I am reading failed to materialise for this one.

There are a few things I liked about Dance of Shadows.  I liked the mystery and secrets about the book, it kept me guessing over what was going on, what happened to previous students  and most importantly who was responsible for it all.  I loved the whole aspect of the ballet, (in my head I have a small fraction of the talent it requires to dance one step, in reality I have no co-ordination at all which is obvious from the multitude of bruises on my legs from constantly walking into furniture that has always been there) the characters were just that, characters. I couldn't relate to them or feel any empathy towards them and whatever situations they found themselves in.

Ultimately, Dance of Shadows was an OK read, and I am still trying to decide if it was the book itself, or the fact I had built it up so much in my head, that made me not enjoy it as much as I thought I would.  I may consider trying this one again at some point in the future and I am curious to see what else the author can add in the next instalment to draw me in a bit more.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't really enjoy this one either. Like you said, I built it up in my head before reading it too, maybe our expectations were just too high. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...