Thursday, 14 March 2013

Random House Blogger Event

On saturday 9th March I got to attend my first ever Random House Children's Publishers Blogger event. I was up ridiculously early and on the train to travel down at 6.45am and I met up with Sarah at the tube station and we finished the rest of the journey together and met up with a few other bloggers.

During the event we got to eat some lovely food, cakes, fruit, biscuits, and some much needed drinks, in my case my VERY much needed caffeine fix.
After drinks and food we all went into a room and were shown a power point of upcoming releases this year. We also got to hear Jonathan Stroud and Amy McCulloch tell us about the books they have being released very soon.

Some 2013 Releases

The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles
Silent Saturday by Helen Grant
The Oathbreaker's Shadow by Amy McCulloch

Acid by Emma Pass
The Last Minute by Eleanor Updale
Doll Bones by Holly Black

Witchfall by Victoria Lamb
Teardrop by Lauren Kate
The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud

The Authors

As I stated previously we got to hear Jonathan and Amy talk about their upcoming releases.

Jonathan Stroud, the author of the Bartimaeus Series, has a new series called Lockwood & Co.  The first instalment  the Screaming Staircase is being published in August.  He told us a bit about the story and characters, which sound amazing, he also gave us a demonstration on how to be prepared to fight ghosts.  Your ghost kit must include, an iron chain to create a safe area around you to repel the ghosts, a rapier to fight, salt and iron fillings, again to make a safe area, a handy belt that can carry everything you need, and most importantly, a tea pot to make a nice hot cup of tea to keep you calm. We had a sampler of the first chapter in our goody bags which I am in two minds about reading. Do I wait for the book, or read the sampler and then want to read the book there and then.

Amy McCulloch joined us after Jonathan and she read a few pages of her book for us, just hat I heard alone was enough to make me want the book even more, just in case the synopsis alone didn't draw you in.  She also answered a few questions about being an editor and an author. We all got a copy of Amy's book in our goody bags and I have to say it's one of the most imaginatively  and probably time consuming way to wrap a book.

Each book was individually wrapped in brown paper, and tied with string that had been knotted and twisted from start to end.  While I didn't take photos of this here is one from Random House Twitter showing an example of them.


Since I was unprepared, I have no photos to show you, so check out the following blogs to see some [here]

The Bloggers

The following bloggers attended the event, I have met a few before at other events, some I met for the first time, and others I didn't get chance to say hi to.  If you see someone's name not on this list then feel free to let me know :)
Kerri @ Read and Repeat
Gaby @ Queen Ella Bee Reads [event post]
Viv @ Serendipidity Reviews
Sarah @ Feeling Fictional
Kirsty @ The Overflowing Library
Michelle @ Fluttering Butterflies
Faye @ A Daydreamers Thoughts
Daphne @ Winged Reviews
Nikki-Ann @ Notes of Life [event post]
Lucy from Choose YA
Darren @ The Book Zone (For Boys)
Rosy @ The Review Diaries
Rhys @ Thirst for Fiction
Sarah @ And then I Read A Book [event report]
Hayley @ Dark Readers

1 comment:

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...