Monday, 25 March 2013

Review: Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza


Title: Mila 2.0
Author: Debra Driza
Author Info: Website|Twitter
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Mila 2.0 #1
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 12th March 2013

Tell Me About It
Mila 2.0 is the first book in an electrifying sci-fi thriller series about a teenage girl who discovers that she is an experiment in artificial intelligence.

Mila was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was a girl living with her mother in a small Minnesota town. She was supposed to forget her past—that she was built in a secret computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do.

Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology. However, what Mila’s becoming is beyond anyone’s imagination, including her own, and it just might save her life.
My Thoughts
I have had my eye on Mila 2.0 since I first saw it on netgalley, unfortunately not for UK bloggers.  When I found out it was being published by a UK publisher I was ecstatic and when the chance came to receive a copy for review I did not hesitate in my reply.
My first thoughts after finishing Mila 2.0 were WOW.  From the first few pages I was hooked.  I enjoyed the little hints of something not quite human about Mila in the small actions she does and memories she can't remember but with flashes of something before the fire that killed her father.

I really enjoyed how the secret was slowly revealed to Mila, and that we get to learn along with her.  Mila is a kick ass heroine that truly fights for what she believes in, human or not. I would definitely want her on my side of any fight.  She has a few allies in her fight, Lucas and Hunter.  I initially liked Lucas from the moment I met him, but then I had doubts over whether his intentions were true or not, pretty soon he shows his true colours and is one of the few people fighting on Mila's side.  Hunter is a stranger and only really knows Mila over a few days, but when she needs him he comes running, no matter the time or distance without asking any questions, and for this alone he stands out as the perfect person for Mila.

There are a few characters that I really disliked, there are the usual suspects of bad guys trying to get Mila, but I think Parker and Kaylee were the worst of them all.  Parker is a nasty, spiteful, person and eventually shows her true colours, which to be honest were not too well hidden by her.  Kaylee is another who I disliked, she is sneaky and two faced and her friendship towards Mila is a big show that she manages to orchestrate perfectly until Mila becomes her competition.

Debra Driza has a way of drawing you into the world she has created and not letting you go, and while the book is 470 pages I felt it ended far too soon, but at the perfect time.  Before I was even half way through Mila 2.0 I was emotionally invested in both Mila and her mum, and now I finished I am wondering why I never got to it sooner.  I need to read the second book right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...