Friday, 29 March 2013

Review: Requiem by Lauren Oliver


Title: Requiem
Author: Lauren Oliver
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Dystopia
Series: Delirium #3
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 5th March 2013

Tell Me About It
I've started dreaming of Portland again. Like a monster from one of the ghost stories we used to tell as kids, the past has been finding its way in. It bubbles up through the cracks when I'm not paying attention, and pulls at me with greedy fingers.

This is what they warned me about for all those years: the heavy weight in my chest, the nightmare-fragments that follow me even in waking life.
I warned you, Aunt Carol says in my head.
We told you, Rachel says...
My Thoughts
When I received my copy of Requiem in the post it was a surprise, I had not requested a copy but fully intended on reading it.  Due to a big review pile I have only just gotten around to actually reading Requiem.
Requiem is shared between Lena and Hana, alternating chapters between the pair.  Hana's chapters focus on preparing for her upcoming wedding to Fred Hargrove, soon to be Mayor.  Lena's chapters are her journey across the country trying to find a safe place for herself and the rest of the Invalids.

Having the book split between Hana and Lena lets us get to have a look at both sides of the fence, so to speak.  We get to see what the cured are doing to control the problem with the Invalids, but also how a cured thinks.  However Hana isn't fully cured and she still remembers things before the procedure, memories about Lena and the friendship they had.  We also get to see how the Invalids are affected with the attack against them and the means they go to in order to survive every day, constantly on edge and sneaking around just to make it through another day.

I have enjoyed reading this series from the very first book, and have been looking forward to each new instalment we get for it.  Requiem has everything we could ask for, more drama and tension, love interests, and getting to spend time with some familiar faces.  Each new page, then chapter, brought something new to this adventure, faces you never thought you would see, a sudden turn in the path that revealed another secret.

Requiem has got to be my favourite book out of them all, however I am disappointed with the ending.  What happens with Julian, Lena, Alex and the rest of the Invalids. What does Hana do now, does she find her friend again, does she find peace in her life?
Too many questions and actions are left unanswered and I would have loved to have gotten a proper ending, a proper conclusion to this journey, a real 'Happy Ever After' rather than a possibility of what might happen.


Have you read Requiem?  Leave a link below to your review and I will add it to this post.

1 comment:

  1. I like the fact that they're all written in different styles. Aww, shame about the ending. It's always sad when series don't tie up properly. I still need to get round to reading this at some point. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...