Thursday, 7 March 2013

Review: Sever by Lauren DeStefano


Title: Sever
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook|Tumblr
Genre: Dystopian
Series: The Chemical Garden #3
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: 14th February 2013

Tell Me About It
Time is running out for Rhine in this conclusion to the New York Times bestselling Chemical Garden Trilogy.

With the clock ticking until the virus takes its toll, Rhine is desperate for answers. After enduring Vaughn’s worst, Rhine finds an unlikely ally in his brother, an eccentric inventor named Reed. She takes refuge in his dilapidated house, though the people she left behind refuse to stay in the past. While Gabriel haunts Rhine’s memories, Cecily is determined to be at Rhine’s side, even if Linden’s feelings are still caught between them.

Meanwhile, Rowan’s growing involvement in an underground resistance compels Rhine to reach him before he does something that cannot be undone. But what she discovers along the way has alarming implications for her future—and about the past her parents never had the chance to explain.

In this breathtaking conclusion to Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden trilogy, everything Rhine knows to be true will be irrevocably shattered.
Linden and Cecily Bowen

My Thoughts
How do I start a review for Sever, the very last book in the series without spoiling it.  This is possibly one of the hardest reviews to write, I want to tell you how much I love this part of the book, or how much I admire this character for doing this, or how this part shocked me.  While I didn't read this series when it was first published and only read the first two books last year, I fell in love with the characters and the world Lauren has created and I am sad to see it come to an end.

Sever has so many twists and turns and unexpected surprises that it was easy to get lost in the pages.  Following Rhine as she looks for her brother was a nervous journey, constantly wondering if she would make it and find him, or if she could keep Cecily and Bowen safe.  Getting to hear more from Rhine, Linden, and the rest of the family was enjoyable, and the more they 'spoke' the more secrets were revealed.  One of the main secrets was kept by Vaughan, and while I don't particularly like him I will admit reading Sever has made me change my opinion of him.  While I do think he did a lot of things that are unforgivable he did them with his own good intentions at heart, and for this reason alone I can sympathise with him.

Rhine really shines in Sever, and as the story progresses we get to see another side to Cecily, and I happily cheered this duo along in everything they did.  Another character that I really liked is Reed, Linden's Uncle.  He lives alone in his house and is quite a quirky person, he definitely stays on your mind and I liked how involved he is in helping Rhine, Cecily and Linden.

There has been a lot of buzz about the elusive chapter 24, I was very good and read the chapters in order, rather than skipping straight to this one.  I don't want to say too much about what happens but I did not react initially, and it actually took a few more chapters before it hit.

Sever was a hard book to read, I wanted to read it to find out what happens next, but I also wanted to leave it to make this series last a bit longer.  While the ending was tinged with a bit of sadness I loved it, the last few sentences were a perfect end to the book and I actually sat for a few minutes afterwards to take it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...