Monday, 4 March 2013

Review: Unremembered by Jessica Brody


Title: Unremembered
Author: Jessica Brody
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Unremembered #1
Source: Publisher
Format: Proof copy
Publication Date: 28th February 2013

Tell Me About It
Sixteen-year-old Sera is the only survivor of an explosion on a plane. She wakes up in hospital to find that she has no memory. The only clue to her identity is a mysterious boy who claims she was part of a top-secret science experiment. The only adult she trusts insists that she shouldn’t believe anything that anybody tells her.

In a tense and pacy novel exploding with intrigue and action, Sera must work out who she is and where she came from. Eventually she will learn that the only thing worse than forgetting her past is remembering it.

My Thoughts
Unremembered was a book that I absolutely loved the minute I found out about it.  The synopsis draws you in and leaves hints of what may happen, when I found out it had been picked up by the UK publisher I was super excited and couldn't wait to get a copy for review.  One thing I can say for sure is that Unremembered is not a book you are likely to forget in a hurry.  The minute I began reading I was hooked and I demolished this book on a 3 hour trip to Wales.
Forgetting who you are is so much more complicated than simply forgetting your name. It's also forgetting your dreams. Your aspirations. What makes you happy. What you pray you'll never have to live without. It's meeting yourself for the first time, and not being sure of your first impression.
[Page 7-8 uncorrected proof]
With no back story to build on, you get to see that character, Sera, at face value, and decide there and then what you think of her, and others she meets, wondering whether to trust hers and your judgement or not.  I loved how you never really know much about Sera until near the very end of Unremembered when all the secrets and mystery are revealed.  Learning things about Sera as she learns them definitely draws you in and you feel like part of the story, learning as you go.  The writing style by Jessica certainly draws you in, you feel like part of the story and the emotions that Sera goes through are easily portrayed, as well as felt. I felt scared, worried, nervous, for each new situation she is in and just when you think you have it all figured out something else is thrown in and you have to start re-evaluating what you know and what you thought.

Sera is a character that will stand out for a while.  She is clueless about the way people live, how they talk, and takes things literally.  The added quirk of being a mathematic genius and being multilingual just adds to the mystery about who Sera actually is.  While I had some worries about characters, trying to decide if they were good or bad, Zen was one person that I knew only had good intentions for Sera, and even up till the very last chapter you are still left guessing about some of the others.  Unremembered is the first book in a planned trilogy and I for one will be making sure I see this series to the end.

2 comments:

  1. What a recommendation! I want to read it now too. Great review, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read this! It comes out in the US tomorrow and I already have a hold on at the library! Awesome review! Now I'm definitely more excited to read it!

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...