Thursday, 4 April 2013

Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare


Title: Clockwork Prince
Author: Cassandra Clare
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook|Tumblr
Genre: Young Adult
Series: The Infernal Devices #2
Source: Borrowed from friend
Publication Date: 6th December 2011

Tell Me About It
The special Collector's First Edition will include a never-before-seen letter from Will to his family!In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street--and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move--and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will--the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.
My Thoughts
I am probably the last person on the planet to read this book, I borrowed it off a friend last year and it has been sitting on my bookcase waiting to be read.  The incentive to read it came from getting the opportunity to read Clockwork Princess and receive a copy for review on publication day, even though I had not read Clockwork Prince yet.  Long Easter weekend and extra days off work was the added incentive and I found myself sitting down and reading this book over the course of one day.

It has been a while since I first read Clockwork Angel, and I no longer have my copy to refresh my memory over what happened, so I was pleasantly surprised that I could pick up Clockwork Prince and fall straight into the world without trying to struggle and remember what transpired previously.
Clockwork Prince picks up with Tessa and Jem making their way to Council meeting where the fate of Tessa, Charlotte and Henry lies.  Will joins them and upon the meeting concluding Henry and Charlotte have been given the impossible task of finding Mortmain or evidence to point where he is, upon completion or failure of this task then Benedict can challenge Charlotte for position of head of the London clave.

I liked seeing familiar names in the council and trying to connect the dots, or in this case DNA, to the ones I am familiar with from the Mortal Instruments.  I loved Clockwork Prince far more than I remember liking the previous book. Getting to see romance blossom and friendships form, with the occasional shock or two thrown in made this one that much more appealing to me.
While it is hard for me to pick out individual characters that I loved, each one had their own distinct personality or quirk that made them adorable, it was easy for me to pick out the ones I disliked.  The obvious choices are easy, Mortmain, the Lightwoods, however one that I truly disliked was Jessamine.  There was definitely something dodgy going on with her, and when the truth was discovered I could not believe she would treat Charlotte and Henry the way she does, it is unthinkable.

Throughout Clockwork Prince, my heart broke a few times. Even though I dislike Jessamine I did feel sorry for her in believing the lie, for Tessa losing her last remaining family, for both Jem and Tessa both doomed by their feelings, to love for a short while, or to love for possibly eternity, but also for Will.  While Will's problem was partly his own fault, who am I kidding it was all his fault, I did want to pick him up and hug him. He pushed and pushed till everyone kept their distance, and while they loved him for who he was he forbade himself from loving in return, and when he could love it was little too late.

Cassandra Clare has a way of drawing you in, and while the series is set years ago I wasn't confused about the correct way they had to act, or the way they spoke as is it portrayed easily within the pages.  After the ending I am so glad I left reading Clockwork Prince as I can jump straight into clockwork princess without the huge wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...