Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey


Title: The 5th Wave
Author: Rick Yancey
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Series: The Fifth Wave #1
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 7th May 2013

Tell Me About It
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

My Thoughts
I have heard lots of great things about The 5th Wave so I was excited to be accepted for Netgalley.  The synopsis alone drew me into this book and I could not wait to make a start on it.

The 5th Wave has multiple points of views for chapters, Cassie's, Zombie's, and Sam.  We begin The 5th Wave with Cassie as she shares what happened, what each wave did to the world and is still doing now.  We get a first hand look into how she tries to survive each day and night, keeping herself hidden from the drones and as safe as possible,  she has lost all her family and is trying to find her brother. Cassie is a strong character that definitely sets an example on how you can survive, not matter what age you are.
Cassie eventually meets Evan, who rescues her from near death, but soon we discover he is hiding a massive secret about many things and the timer is counting down to when Cassie will know every single secret he is trying to hide.

Zombie is no longer the person who he used to be, and the emotionless response to his surroundings is how he earned his name.  He is taken to Camp Haven, where Sam got taken to and soon finds Sam in his team along Ringer, Teacup, Dumbo, and Poundcake.  I absolutely love these nicknames and some of them fit perfectly with the characters.

While I enjoyed The 5th Wave I feel like I am the odd one out, to me it just didn't live up to the hype. Yes I enjoyed it, I loved the twist on how the others managed to infiltrate and then begin to destroy the earth, how some humans fought for their freedom and made a stand.  I love the idea behind the story, and I loved the fighting the most but that is all.  While I liked how strong Cassie, Zombie, Sam and the others are, I didn't really feel anything for them, and while I am happy with the end result, I didn't feel any loss when people died.

Overall The 5th Wave was a good read and I am interested in seeing how this series pans out in the next instalment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...