Monday, 13 May 2013

Review: Drummer Girl by Bridget Tyler


Title: Drummer Girl
Author: Bridget Tyler
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: May 2013

Tell Me About It
It was supposed to be the summer of her life. Instead, 17-year-old Lucy finds her best friend Harper shot dead in an LA swimming pool. How did it come to this? Lucy Gosling is the drummer in Crush, a rock band formed by five London schoolgirls that has just won the UK semi-final of an international talent contest. But when the band lands in Hollywood for the big final, things are not quite as they seem. The band's lead singer, Harper, has just one thing on her mind - using sex, drugs and rock and roll, not to mention Crush itself, to win back her bad-news ex-boyfriend. Lucy must decide whether she's playing to Harper's tune, or setting the rhythm for the rest of the band
The best way to start a book that will grab anyones attention, a murder scene, and that's exactly how Bridget Tyler has started drummer girl, with Lucy identifying her best friends body.

My Thoughts
I first heard about Drummer Girl at a blogger event and I knew I had to read it and I am so glad I got a copy for review.  From the minute I began reading I was hooked and found it very hard to put down. Drummer Girl turned out to be an unexpected read with lots of 'real life issues' dealt with in an appropriate way, drug use, body issues, peer pressure, and fame going to your head.

Drummer Girl follows the adventures of the band Crush, as they achieve their dream and win Project Next, and end up travelling to Hollywood to record an album and try to win the big final.  Crush consists of five girls from different backgrounds, with the only thing in common being school.

Lucy is one of the sensible ones of the group, and although she didn't exactly tell the truth to her parents till the last possible second, she is trying to hold the band together as well as keeping all their secrets.  She is strong and can be pretty feisty when the need calls for it, even standing up to a member of the PR team.  I loved reading her parts in the story and the last few chapters she gets what she deserves.  I was happy and excited for her.
Iza didn't get much time in the pages for us to hear her story, she is the shyest of them all but the moments she gets are mostly sweet, especially with her budding romance.
Harper thought of the band and brought them together for Project Next but she had her own reasons for planning it.  I didn't like how she was sneaky about doing it, but when we get to see what her family life is like I could somewhat sympathise with why she does the things she does.
Toni was someone who I didn't really take to at first, but as the story developed I decided I didn't like her at all for doing what she does.  Her actions effect the group in a big way and they could have lost everything they worked hard for.  But when she realises the truth, it was at that exact moment with her that I realised she honestly didn't know and all the hate I felt for her evaporated and turned into sadness and sympathy for this delusional girl.
Robyn I felt sorry for Robyn, she is an average girl with an average body that doesn't meet the standards when they get to Hollywood.  Put under pressure she is forced into making herself better and able to stand up to the standards of Hollywood.  Seeing what she does and goes through to try to fit in broke my heart, and each time we got to see her point of view another little piece of my heart broke for her.  She is lost and feels alone and I just wanted to tell her everything was ok that she didn't need to change herself for others.  Soon enough though she is in far too deep, and what started out as her own problem soon turns into a big problem for the band.

Drummer Girl was another addictive book that had me wanting to keep reading to see what happens next, but also wanting to take my time to make it last.  I loved how honest the book was about issues that people face everyday.  Yes the group won the initial competition, but its not all flowers and sunshine for this dynamic group of girls and THAT was what made Drummer Girl more appealing and realistic.  The grass isn't always greener on the other side and we get to see this first hand through the eyes of Crush.

Drummer Girl is 361 pages long but is packed full of awesomeness, and while it isn't necessary a quick read, the ending came far too soon.  I would love to pick up the story where it left off and follow the girls again in another book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...