Thursday, 2 May 2013

Review: The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles


Title: The Kissing Booth
Author: Beth Reekles
Author Info: Tumblr|Twitter|Facebook|Wattpad
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 25th April 2013

Tell Me About ItMeet Rochelle Evans: pretty, popular--and never been kissed. Meet Noah Flynn: badass, volatile--and a total player. And also Elle's best friend's older brother...

When Elle decides to run a kissing booth for the school's Spring Carnival, she locks lips with Noah and her life is turned upside down. Her head says to keep away, but her heart wants to draw closer--this romance seems far from fairy tale and headed for heartbreak.

But will Elle get her happily ever after?

My Thoughts
I first heard about The Kissing Booth when I attended a blogger event at Random House.  When I saw it available on netgalley I knew I had to request it and was happy to have been accepted for it.
The Kissing Booth follows Rochelle and her best friend Lee as they plan for an upcoming carnival.  Rochelle and Lee have been best friends for years and know everything about each other, but now Rochelle is hiding something, she is starting to have feelings for Lee's older brother, Noah.
Noah is the bad boy, the brother that all the girls like, but also the one with a bad reputation

When I initially began reading The Kissing Booth I thought it was a bit slow and didn't really interest me, but as the story progressed and we get to meet bad boy Flynn, then things start to get interesting.  Before I was even a few chapters into the story I was questioning my doubt over the book.  I demolished the book in a few hours.

One thing that really captures my attention about The Kissing Booth is the easy going friendship Rochelle has with Lee, it doesn't matter that they are opposite sexes they do everything together, so much so that past girlfriends of Lee have often felt jealous of his relationship with Rochelle.
When Rochelle finally acts on her feelings I was happy for her to have this relationship that worked, and while her reasoning for not telling Lee about Noah seemed good in her own mind, I think she should have told him from the beginning, and from the moment they decided to keep it a secret I was waiting for the cat to be let out of the bag and the s**t to hit the fan.

The Kissing Booth was a quick read that I enjoyed.  I like how 'real' the story is and Beth has done an amazing job of portraying the feelings of falling in love, ending it and then giving it another try, having to contend with jealous girls, unhappy family and friends.  Seeing this relationship slowly develop made it that much more real, not once did it feel rushed.  The ending of The Kissing Booth was sad, but not a cry your heart out sad, and I would love to see another story about how Rochelle and Flynn deal with this new hurdle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...