Monday, 20 May 2013

Review: Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike



Title: Life After theft
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 25th April 2013

Tell Me About It
Kimberlee’s dead. Has been for a while, actually. Stuck haunting the halls of her high school, she’s doomed to an afterlife of boredom. That is until the new kid shows up.

The first thing Jeff spots is Kimberlee lying on the floor as other students walk right through her. Pretty soon she’s harangued him into helping her escape to the afterlife.

Kimberlee guesses that once Jeff rights her mean girl wrongs she’ll be able to move on. But nothing is simple in life after death...
My Thoughts
Before I began reading Life After Theft I made sure to read the short story One More Day.  Life After Theft is twist on The Scarlet Pimpernel, which I have not read but hopefully wouldn't make a huge difference to the story itself.  Having read One More Day I was aware of the back story before starting Life After Theft, however the back story is briefly explained through the book so you don't feel like you have missed out on too much.

Kimberlee, now a ghost, is stuck on earth unable to cross over to the other side. When a new student, Jeff, sees her Kimberlee realises he can help her by giving back everything she stole so that she can hopefully leave earth.  During the progress of returning the stolen items Kimberlee gets an un-edited look into what others really thought about her.

While there are lots of secondary characters in Life After Theft, the few who stand out to me, not including Kimberlee and Jeff, are Kahil and Sera, sibling who go to the same school as Jeff.  We don't get to see too much of this duo until Sera and Jeff become close, and Kahil decides to help Jeff in the returning of the stolen items.

I liked Jeff from the moment he was introduced, and while its obviously going to be a shock to the system finding out you can see and talk to ghosts, he quickly accepts the fact and after some bribery works out a deal with Kimberlee in exchange for him returning all the times.  The job isn't as easy as it initially seems and Jeff soon finds himself getting mixed up in things he never expected.  Kahil grew on me slowly, the more we learn about him and what secret Kimberlee is hiding I felt sorry for him, and although he helps Jeff for his own reasons he sticks to it all the way to the end.  Sera certainly didn't have an easy time with Kimberlee and when we learn what Kimberlee did to her I was shocked and Kimberlee certainly wasn't in my good books.

Life After Theft wasn't what I expected, but to be honest I'm not one hundred percent sure on what I was expecting.  Life After Theft was a good read, and while I wouldn't put it on the top of my favourite reads there was something there that kept in interesting enough for me to carry on reading.

Life After Theft definitely puts a message out there.  If you died and got stuck on earth because of your past actions towards others until you made amends some way, would you still do them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...