Thursday, 30 May 2013

Review: Quicksilver by R.J. Anderson


Title: Quicksilver
Author: R.J. Anderson
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook|Tumblr
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Ultraviolet #2
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 2nd May 2013

Tell Me About It
Back in her hometown, Tori Beaugrand had everything a teenaged girl could want—popularity, money, beauty. But she also had a secret. A secret that could change her life in an instant, or destroy it.

Now she’s left everything from her old life behind, including her real name and Alison, the one friend who truly understood her. She can’t escape who and what she is. But if she wants to have anything like a normal life, she has to blend in and hide her unusual... talents.

Plans change when the enigmatic Sebastian Faraday reappears and gives Tori some bad news: she hasn’t escaped her past. In fact, she’s attracted new interest in the form of an obsessed ex-cop turned investigator for a genetics lab.

She has one last shot at getting her enemies off her trail and winning the security and independence she’s always longed for. But saving herself will take every ounce of Tori’s incredible electronics and engineering skills—and even then, she may need to sacrifice more than she could possibly imagine if she wants to be free.
My Thoughts
Before I get to the review if you have not read Ultraviolet some parts of this book may not make sense as I will be mentioning characters from that book, that also feature in this one. Before you read Quicksilver it is also advisable to read Ultraviolet as it will explain a lot of the back story and the reason for Tori's actions.
I read and loved Ultraviolet a few years ago, so when I found out a companion book was being published there was no doubt in my mind whatsoever, I knew I HAD to read it. When I found out it was going to be Tori's story it just made me want to read it even more. When the publication date was delayed for a bit I was devastated but thankfully the time seemed to fly by and soon enough I was holding a shiny copy of Quicksilver in my hands.

Quicksilver begins with Tori and her family leaving home and moving to a new state, as the story progresses we get to see why they moved, with Constable Deckard continuously investigating Tori and her disappearance, as well as a doctor ringing up about anomalies in Tori's blood the family decided to change their whole identities and move.  Now Tori has to deal with a new school, a new job, and trying to fit in but stay hidden in plain sight.  One person who is a big help is Milo, but we will get to him in a bit.

In Ultraviolet Tori wasn't really one of my favourite characters, but now after reading more about her and why she acts so standoffish I can see how this could be portrayed as thinking she is better than others.  One thing I love about Tori is her technological side.  She rigs up her bedroom so almost everything is automatic, she sits and builds PC's, and other IT stuff just for fun, and while some of the technological terms went over my head (which is one of the main points about her) it just added to her mystery and made it more believable about who she is, I really do wish I had just a smidgen of her abilities.  I love how she is so easily overlooked when consulting other 'geeks' like she is just this random girl who is with Milo, and the reactions she gets when they realise it is her that is so gifted had me laughing.
Milo is a new character in Quicksilver but he has such an important role in helping Tori.  He is let into the secret, thanks to Faraday, and deals with it amazingly well.  He supports Tori and helps out when he can, and is also a great scape goat.  I loved seeing this duo develop a tentative friendship that certainly has its hiccups, but still stands the test of time.
As mentioned above, Faraday is back, and we get to see the occasional appearance of Alison either through emails or as a friend in the final chapters but I don't want to say too much about their roles in the book.

Quicksilver was just as compelling as Ultraviolet, and I could not get enough it.  When I was nearing the end of the book I HAD to stay up to finish it, I could not go to bed not knowing how it ended.  I love the characters that we are already familiar with even more than I remember, but the new ones that we meet soon end up to be just like old friends.
The last few chapters of Quicksilver had me doing 3 things; sitting on the edge of my seat, glued to the pages needing to know what was going to happen next, and using my very knowledgeable list of colourful language (that can't be repeated in public) aimed at a certain person who I could have willingly punched some sense into, who I still can't forgive even though they sort of redeemed themselves in the end.

Was Quicksilver worth the wait??? Heck yes and now I feel the need to re-read Ultraviolet to pay another visit to Alison.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...