Monday, 6 May 2013

Review: Shift by Hugh Howey


Title: Shift
Author: Hugh Howey
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: Wool #6-8
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 25th April 2013

Tell Me About It
In a future less than fifty years away, the world is still as we know it. Time continues to tick by. The truth is that it is ticking away. A powerful few know what lies ahead. They are preparing for it. They are trying to protect us. They are setting us on a path from which we can never return.

My Thoughts
I really enjoyed Wool and when I saw Shift on netgalley I knew I wanted to read it. Shift is told by two different narrators in two different years. Donald tells his story from the year 2049, while Troy tells his story from the year 2110.  I began reading Shift very interested in hearing both of these points of view, wanting to learn more of why the silos were built, who built them, and what happened to them to make them the silos we know of from wool.

After a few chapters I found myself getting distracted very easily, but I soldiered on hoping for the story to pick up and be so engrossing that I could not put the book down.   I managed to read to chapter 21 before giving this one up as a did not finish.  I am disappointed in myself for not finishing this book, I so wanted to read this and learn everything there is to know about the world that Hugh Howey has created, but the more I read, wanting to get a glimpse of the spark that makes me unable to put down, the more I struggled.

I gave Shift even more of a chance than I usually do for books I do not finish, but it just wasn't for me.  I couldn't relate to the characters on any kind of level which meant I wasn't too bothered about what happened to them, if they survived or not which resulted in a lack of interest which didn't get any better.

At some point in the future I would possibly try this book again to see if I can find the spark that just wasn't there at this moment in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...