Saturday, 25 May 2013

Review: Touching Melody by RaShelle Workman


Title: Touching Melody
Author: RaShelle Workman
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: New Adult/ Contemporary Romance
Series: Forever First #1
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 14th May 2013

Tell Me About It
Maddie Martin's first weekend at college is nothing like she's used to. It's wild, like the wilderness on which the University of Bellam Springs sits. Roped into going to a fraternity party, she literally runs into Kyle Hadley. The boy she's loved since she was nine. The boy she promised all of her firsts to. But that was before his father killed her parents.

Determined to stay away from him, she throws herself into her music. Practising piano eases her heavy heart, calms the sadness, and pushes away images of Kyle's face.

Until it doesn't.

Her music professor asks her to play a duet for their annual Winter Gala. Doing so means she'll be assured another full ride scholarship. It's an opportunity she can't pass up.

But Kyle is the other half of the duet. And that means hours and hours of practising.

Weeks of seclusion - just the two of them. And it's more than just music. It's passion like Maddie never believed was possible.

The inevitable happens. She falls in love with him all over again.

But, will loving him be enough to erase all the hate in her heart for his father? Can she look at him, and not see the evil in his family tree?

And maybe it's all a set up. Maybe Kyle is only pretending to care so he can finish what his father started, and kill her too.

My Thoughts
I saw Touching Melody on netgalley and instantly decided that I needed to read this book, I put in a request not expecting to be accepted and very quickly found the acceptance email waiting for me.  From the minute I began reading I was hooked, once I began I literally could not stop.  I started with the intention of reading a few pages before going to bed and stayed up till 2am reading it.

Maddie found her parents dead bodies and for seven years she has been trying to cope with the discovery, keep the killers identity to herself.  One of her coping mechanisms is tattoos, and we are introduced to Maddie just before she is about to add to her collection.  Soon the past that Maddie is trying to forget has caught up with her in the shape of Kyle, Maddie's best friend from when they were younger before she lost her parents and was whisked away by her grandparents.

Touching Melody portrays a variety of emotions, sadness, loss, worry, happiness. I felt sad for Maddie having to learn to live with what she has gone through but is also carrying along with her.  Worry for Gina, Maddie's room mate who is dealing with her own problems.  The feeling of loss that Maddie experiences every single day.

Gina was a fantastic roomie for Maddie, she is quirky and completely opposite Maddie in every way, and although she has her own issues to deal with when Maddie needs her Gina is always there.  Once this duo finally share their thoughts and feelings it makes them that much more closer.

When we first meet Kyle I initially hated him for acting like a pretentious git, but then when he finally acts the way he should I fell in love with him, and then just a little bit more when he is there for Maddie no matter what and treats Maddie amazingly.  I seriously wanted to punch Evan, Kyle's cousin,I disliked him from the very first moment I met him.  He is arrogant, pretentious and thinks he is gods gift to woman.  Well he can think again because with his attitude and behaviour he is the lowest of the low.

The sexual tension between Maddie and Kyle was unbelievable, I lost count of how many times they came so close to getting down and dirty and each time it got steamier and hotter to just quit instantly.  I loved the interaction between this duo and seeing them slowly become friends over the course of Touching Melody was nice to see.  Yes they had been friends but they are basically starting a friendship from square one and I am happy they didn't rush into things.  When Kyle finds out the truth about what is wrong with Maddie I love how he is there for her no matter what and believes what she says.

I loved Touching Melody from the moment I began to the very last word.  The characters have a way of standing out and being stuck inside your brain day after you finish reading.  Touching Melody shows different ways of how people can be strong and I admire Maddie for carrying around with her the burden of losing her family, but also of hiding the real truth.  I admire Kyle for being strong and standing up for what he believes in, even if it goes against his family.

There is so much to Touching Melody that it is hard to write it all down, without giving anything away about what happens.  My only question now is.....when can I read book 2?????

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for reading and reviewing Touching Melody. I'm glad you enjoyed it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! I love when a book is so good that it keeps me up until the early morning hours. I'll have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...