Monday, 10 June 2013

Book Spotlight: Shattered by Kathi Baron


Today I have a book spotlight as part of the JKSCommunications blog tour for Shattered by Kathi Baron.



Shattered by Kathi Baron
Teen violin prodigy Cassie has been tiptoeing around her father, whose moods have become increasingly explosive.After he destroys her beloved and valuable violin in a sudden rage, Cassie, shocked, runs away, eventually seeking refuge in a homeless shelter.She later learns that her father, a former violinist, was physically beaten as a child by her grandfather, a painful secret he's kept hidden from his family, and the cause of his violent outbursts.
With all of their lives shattered in some way, Cassie's family must struggle to repair their broken relationships.As Cassie moves forward, she ultimately finds a way to help others, having developed compassion through her own painful experiences. Written in lyrical prose, SHATTERED tells the moving story of how one girl finds inner strength through music.



About Me: Who I amFull name: Kathryn Maxine Anne Brenneman Baron
I was born in: Fairbanks, Alaska on May 23rd
I grew up in: Orrville, Ohio
Where I live now: Oak Park, Illinois
Occupations: Part-time Occupational Therapist, Young Adult Author, Mom-24/7
Favorite subject in high school: creative writing with Mr. McDaniels
Educational Background: MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College; MS in Occupational Therapy from the University of Illinois at Chicago; BS in Occupational Therapy from Ohio State University
Favorite color: periwinkle
Top 3 characteristics I need in a friend: laughter, honesty, and availability to go shopping
What I'm into when I'm not writing or working as an occupational therapist: baseball, visiting ballparks, scrapbooking, watching movies, reading, taking walks, hanging out with my guys and my cats.
Someone I’d like to spend a day with: Tina Fey. I’d like to know how she comes up with her wacky, funny scenes for her show, 30 Rock. I’d like to ask her a million questions about writing.
Favorite food: Chocolate. Chocolate. Chocolate.
A person I’d like to have lunch with: George Harrison. He wrote 2 songs that I absolutely love: Here Comes the Sun and Something. I’d like to say thank you for those. I’d like to ask him to talk to me about the relationship between spirituality and creativity.
Where I’ve been and would like to return: Definitely to Fenway Park, beautiful home of the Boston Red Sox. (I am sort of a big fan). Jon Lester, the pitcher, is a big inspiration to me.
Top 5 all around favorite songs: Build Me Up Buttercup, Natural Woman, Here Comes the Sun, Cowboy Take Me Away, How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You
Favorite animal: The cat, definitely. I'm in love with our family cats: big boy, Leo and (Darling) Clementine. Love, love, love them!
A peak experience I've had: Sitting in the 5th row with my husband at a Dixie Chicks concert--a surprise birthday present. I could see the grain in Martie McGuire's violin, that's how close we were to the Chicks.
If I was given $10,000 to donate to charity: I’d give it to the Oak Park Food Pantry. They are thoughtful, focused and creative with their resources and do a good job of serving. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in need right now.
A place I've never been that I would like to go: I'd love to visit Missoula, Montana and see the "big sky" and meet some of the authors who participated in the Montana anthology, The Last Best Place.
Favorite Board Game: Yahtzee
Authors who inspired me during the writing of Shattered: Laurie Halse Anderson, Kathi Appelt, Joan Bauer, Elizabeth Bluemle, Carolyn Coman, Sharon Creech, Sharon Darrow, Kate DiCamillo, E. R. Frank, Sundee Frazier, Louise Hawes, Lynn Hazen, Norma Fox Mazer, Angela Morrison, An Na, Robert B. Parker, Connie Van Hoven, and Tim Wynne-Jones
Why I write: Creating stories and poems makes me feel fully alive and focused. And I like feeling a connection with the Creator.
Words I live by: “Live with intention.” ~ M. A. Hershey

Website - Blog - Twitter - Facebook

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting my book and especially for the spotlight. And happy 2nd anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...