Saturday, 22 June 2013

Q and A with Bungle from Midnight Reads

Today I have Bungle from Midnight REads on the blog to answer a few questions for me.

Photobucket

1. What is your name, either your real name or one you use for blogging, and tell us a bit about yourself?
My name is Bungle, which is actually a family nick-name and has more or less been with me my whole 30 years of existence and I’m sure it will still be in use by the time I reach 60! I work as a children’s bookseller at Waterstones, which I love, and I’m also an Education Facilitator at a local art gallery which I love more than anything!

2. Why did you become a blogger?
I became a blogger more for myself to be honest to keep track of the books I read and I thought it was a good way to refer back to my thoughts so I could help my customers in choosing the right books. But as time has gone on I have come to realise just how important bloggers are, they really do hold a power. Not all authors seem to agree with the statement I just made but it’s very true. In a post I did over on Midnight Reads after being ill I mentioned how a particular customer who comes into my branch will only read the books I recommend to him, if that isn’t bookish power than I don’t know is!

3. Tell us about your blog…how did you pick the name for your blog?
The simple answer to this is that once I started to read again, mainly thanks to starting my job at Waterstones, I would read until all hours! If I had a day off I would stay up until 3am just to get to the end of a book needing to know how it ended. And so Midnight Reads seemed to fit.

4. How long have you been running it?
Midnight Reads started in February 2011 and due to my illness we missed our 2nd year blogoversary and Sally joined me less than a year in.

5. What genres of books do you review?
When this post goes out Midnight Reads will have changed from a YA blog to a blog that reviews all genres. Sally and I came to this decision because we read just more than YA and we thought it would be a good way to go. I’m a slower reader compared to most bloggers and sometimes I like a break from YA as does Sal, so we thought we would include all genres, that way we get to talk about all the books we love.

6. To you what is the most important thing about being a blogger?
For me personally the most important thing about being a blogger is being honest about the books I read. As I mentioned my blogging is a way to keep my thoughts, if I was to give a book a low star rating I would give an honest reason to why that is. There is a difference to ripping a book apart, which I have seen happen, and giving an honest diplomatic review. It’s not hard to do. As a blogger and bookseller I am aware of how much hard work goes into a book. Just because I might not enjoy a book I wouldn’t discourage anyone else from buying it. We all have different ideas of what an amazing book is. My reviews are honest to me, to my thoughts and feeling about what I have read.

7. Apart from getting to read some fantastic books before they are released, what is the best thing about being a blogger?
Meeting other bloggers. If it’s at signings or events or virtually, other bloggers make this all so much more fun! And it may sound a little clique but it really is like being part of a family. The help from other bloggers I have had has been amazing, complete strangers from the other side of the world just willing to help at the drop of a hat. It’s just a fabulous community to be part of.

8. If you could recommend one book or series which would it be and why?
I’m going for the Harry Potter series here which is an amazing series and fantastic for getting lost in a world created by an author to be enjoyed simply because it’s a good read. And I’m all for those kind of books, the kind that are a great read just because they are and they have no deeper meaning. It’s nice when a book wins a prize just because it’s simply an exciting read and not one that holds some deep, underling, significant meaning. But please don’t think I don’t like those books, I think are very important, even more so in the kind of world we are living in. Books such as Skin Deep by Laura Jarratt and Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr are the kind of books that teach us to not to sink into the shadows but to stand in the sunlight and be who we are.

9. How can we stalk follow you?
Blog: themidnightreaders.blogspot.com
Twitter: @midnightreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...