Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Q and A with Caroline from Big Book Little Book

Today I have Caroline from Big Book Little Book on the blog

Photobucket

1.What is your name, either your real name or one you use for blogging, and tell us a bit about yourself?
Hi I’m Caroline and I am one of the founding members of Big Book Little Book, a book review blog dedicated to the books we enjoy read ourselves and the books we love to share with our children.
When I’m not reading or blogging I am a full time mum to a 5 and a 1/2 year old girl, a 3 and a ½ year old boy and a year old Black Labrador. I also work part time as an NHS midwife.

2.Why did you become a blogger?
As a life long bookworm, I’d been following book blogs for recommendations for some time, when the opportunity to apply to blog for the fabulous Book Chick City arose. Unfortunately I didn’t make the final cut but the idea of blogging had taken hold.

3.Tell us about your blog…how did you pick the name for your blog?
I am very fortunate that I have been able to connect with a fabulous group of mums through various toddler-based activities.
Even for mums it doesn’t take long for talk of sleep depravation, weaning and potty training to get old. Inevitably the discussion would lead to books. Books we were reading ourselves, and those books we were sharing with our children.
It was this group of mums (particularly Lesley and Helen) who encouraged me to apply for the aforementioned blogging position and when I was unsuccessful, consoled me with the idea of starting our own blog for mums like us, bookworms who wanted to pass the condition on to their children.
We played around with many different titles but when Big Book Little Book was suggested it was an immediate, unanimous affirmative among the group

4.How long have you been running it?
We will celebrate our two year blog’aversary in July, although we have only been in our new home, our own purpose built website, since 2012. Over the two years that we have been “live” we have been fortunate enough to pull together a fantastic team of passionate bookworms with diverse tastes and styles and have had the opportunity to work with some wonderful authors and publicists.

5.What genres of books do you review?
As a large team of avid readers with diverse tastes, we read and review traditionally, self and indy published titles from many different genres and across all age categories (from picture books through to Adult fiction), and in all formats (audio, ebook and paper)
Personally I am drawn to Young Adult and New adult books, particularly contemporary romance and speculative fiction, with a weakness for urban fantasy and pretty covers.

6.To you what is the most important thing about being a blogger?
Being able to express yourself and share your passion.
If you spend any time at Big Book Little Book you will find that although the presentation (formatting) for our reviews is consistent, each of the team favours different genres, has a different approach to reviewing, and unique voice.

7.Apart from getting to read some fantastic books before they are released, what is the best thing about being a blogger?
Absolutely the best thing about blogging is the fantastic community. Particularly the UKYA bloggers, who have been warm, open and generous with their friendship, time and even their books.
I have met some fabulous bloggers who I now count among my best friends! Yes, I’m talking about you Kerri (@readandrepeat) and Pruedence (@Preuedence13) !

8.If you could recommend one book or series which would it be and why?
You can’t seriously expect any bookworm to pick just one!! I’ve tried to narrow it down, I really have, but I have failed miserably.
Without a doubt I would recommend Cassandra Clare’s Infernal Devices Trilogy (Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince and Clockwork Princess) this historical, urban fantasy with Steampunk elements, is the prequel to Clare’s Mortal Instruments series (the first book, The City Of Bones, has been made in to a film, due for release in August) is my favourite series to date.

Honourable mention:
The Girl Of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
The Night Itself by Zoe Marriott
The Scorpio Races and anything ever written by Maggie Stiefvater
The Heart and The Bottle by Oliver Jeffers (my favourite picture book)

9. How can we stalk follow you?
In addition to our website our review can also be found on Goodreads and Facebook.
We love chatting to fellow bookworms, bloggers and authors on Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...