Monday, 17 June 2013

Review: Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend by Louise Rozett

Title: Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend
Author: Louise Rozett
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Contemporary
Series: Confessions #2
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 25th June 2013

Tell Me About It
ROSE ZARELLI 2.0 here — 2.0, as in innovative…superior…improved.

Improved how? Glad you asked. This year, I will not:

1. Do things just because other people want me to.
2. Randomly shoot off my mouth.
3. Worry about whether I’m someone’s girlfriend — or not.

So, what will I do this year?

1. Find my thing and be who I want to be.
2. Learn when to speak up — and when to shut up.
3. Tell off Jamie Forta and move on.

I’m older and smarter now — I can totally pull this off. How hard can it be?
My Thoughts
I liked Confessions of an Angry Girl last year, and with the ending I knew I had to read Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend when it was released.  Confession of an Almost girl Friend begins with a pool party that Tracy and Rose are attending.  The pool party however is just a way for Union Swim Team to haze Conrad, calling him names and basically degrading him for being gay.

With the usual characters making an appearance in the book we know its not going to be an easy ride, especially the Regina, Jamie, Anthony complicated love triangle that occasionally involves Rose.  Jamie and Regina are just as annoying as I remember them to be and they certainly don't help matters with Rose, making sure that she knows her place among them.

Jamie is a mystery himself, throughout the book he is constantly disappearing and in and out of Rose's life, one minute wanting to know her, then calling it all off before trying it all over again.  As we learn more about him we can sort of see why he is so flighty but it doesn't fully explain what he is doing with Rose and why.

With Rose involved there was no way Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend was going to be angst free, homophobic bullying, vandalism, fights with her mother over the website tribute to her dad, and much more.  Rose is the typical Rose from Confessions of an Angry Girl she is still struggling with her sense of belief in herself and what she thinks is right, twisting everything she sees and does.  She puts herself down believing her friends are more beautiful than her, questioning any good thing that happens to her.  She is still grieving for her Dad and this grief overshadows everything in her life, making her feel like she is not good enough for it.  I love Rose as a character, and while she made make too much doom and gloom out of things, she just needs someone to light up her path to show her the reality, the last few pages of the book are her new reality, and I am so happy for her getting what she really deserves, and while there is no mention of a book after the final pages, I would love to see how Rose's reality changes her. There were parts of Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend that I thought Rose should have stood up and made the truth known, and regarding the issue with Conrad she had a part in the bully being discovered, but with another issue she should have spoken up and let someone know instead of standing at the side lines and waiting it out.

Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend deals with controversial subjects.  With these issues some books will precariously hang on the edge, is it too much making the book fall off the edge, or just enough to make sure that a clear yet tasteful message is passed on.  Louise Rozett has managed to send a powerful message to readers about what is not tolerated and what can be done, but does it in such a way that it blends into the story, fitting seamlessly into the plot and making Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend that much more thought provoking and an amazing read.

I demolished Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend in a few hours, I loved getting to see the characters again and see how far they have come from Confessions of an Confessions of an Angry Girl.  The ending of this book was truly fitting for Rose and like I mentioned above, I would love to see how this new life changes her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...