Thursday, 6 June 2013

Review: The Sea of Tranquillity by Katja Millay


Title: The Sea of Tranquillity
Author: Katja Millay
Author Info: Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 4th June 2013

Tell Me About It
I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

Full of rage and without a purpose, former pianist Nastya Kashnikov wants two things: to get through high school without anyone discovering her past and to make the boy who took everything from her pay.

All 17 year-old Josh Bennett wants is to build furniture and be left alone, and everyone allows it because it’s easier to pretend he doesn’t exist. When your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space.

Everyone except Nastya, a hot mess of a girl who starts showing up and won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. The more he gets to know her, the more of a mystery she becomes. As their relationship intensifies and the unanswered questions begin to pile up, he starts to wonder if he may ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding or if he even wants to.

The Sea of Tranquility is a slow-building, character-driven romance about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the miracle of second chances.

My Thoughts
Browsing netgalley the cover of The Sea of Tranquillity caught my eye, when I took a closer look I was drawn in by the synopsis and I knew I had to read this book.  The Sea of Tranquillity is told by two narrators, Nastya and Josh.  Josh is an outcast in school and keeps himself to himself, Nastya lives with her Aunt and is new to the school and doesn't exactly fit with the typical fashion sense or with her choice.
Throughout the Sea of Tranquillity we get hints as to what happened to Nastya before she moved in with her Aunt, but it's not until you get near the end of the book that the truth is revealed and we are told the reason for Nastya's choice.

I loved the characters in the book, how each one plays an important role in Nastya's life and while some of them started out as self absorbed jerks, they soon began to grow on me.  Drew, Josh's friend, openly admits to liking Nastya and goes out of his way to get her attention with lots of pick up lines that eventually get her to agree to a date, but he  doesn't really understand her or try to get to know her, it feels like their relationship is just a front to keep others happy.
While it takes a while Nastya finds comfort with Josh, and although they don't have a typical type of friendship they have a mutual understanding, enough to let her feel comfortable in his presence and let go of her choice (I know I am being vague by saying 'choice' but I want you to experience the same shock I felt when it is revealed,  the way the character is written I didn't actually pick up on anything and I ad to read back a few pages to make sure I hadn't misread).

Nastya has gone through so much, more than you could possibly imagine and while she isn't completely over it, she has come out of the other end.  I liked getting to see her gain confidence back in herself and in others, developing friendships that not only help her but also help others.  The eclectic mix of characters suit this book perfectly and make it that much more enjoyable.

The Sea of Tranquillity is a powerful book that quickly draws you in but lets you share each emotion that the characters are going through.  It's very rare that books leave me speechless with no idea of where to start my review and take me days to get it written down in some logical way.  The storyline itself has a way of grabbing hold of you and not letting go, and while it took me a while to make my way through the book it was not by choice and rather by having to work, sleep, eat etc.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely blog! Please follow mine, it's new: readandlovebooks.blogspot.com
    Thanks♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...