Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Review: The Arrivals by Melissa Marr


Title: The Arrivals
Author: Melissa Marr
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 2nd July 2013

Tell Me About It
Chloe walks into a bar and blows five years of sobriety. When she wakes, she finds herself in an unfamiliar world, The Wasteland. She discovers people from all times and places have also arrived there: Kitty and Jack, a brother and sister from the Wild West; Edgar, a prohibition bootlegger; Francis, a one-time hippie; Melody, a mentally unbalanced 1950s housewife; and Hector, a former carnival artist.

None know why they arrived there--or if there is way out of a world populated by monsters and filled with corruption.

My Thoughts
Every other book I have read by Melissa Marr I was loved, so when I got the chance to review The Arrivals I jumped at the chance.  Not long after it arrived I began reading, and I will admit to struggling to get into the story.  I ended up putting the book down for a week and reading a few others before coming back to The Arrivals.  My second attempt at reading was better, and I managed to finish the book in a few days.

I think the main problem I had with The Arrivals was it took a long time for anything to happen after the initial fight that we start the book with.  We are given a brief introduction to the different characters and the world they inhabit.  We are also told how they arrived and why.  It wasn't till Chloe made her arrival, and then recovered, that I began to get interested.  By that time I was just over 100 pages into the book, that only has 276.  Chloe made it easier to get into the world, possibly because she was new to it just like me, and as she learns about it, we learn along with her.  She adds a nice element to the world, a modern person trying to get along with people from years ago, yet not looking any older.

The idea behind The Arrivals was great, and the synopsis definitely draws you in, but if it was any other author that I wasn't a fan of I doubt I would have carried on reading after the first couple of chapters.  I found it hard to become invested in the characters well-being, I didn't understand why they fought so hard against their feelings, if you are stuck in some strange place with only a few humans why give so much effort to fight the feelings you have for one another, its pointless and a waste of energy.  After the initial bumpy start I did enjoy The Arrivals, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

4 comments:

  1. I was planning on picking up this book next, I think I'll push this to the side of my TBR now. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no Michelle! I'm a very big Marr fan and I know others have said they have struggled with books outside of the WL series but I really like Carnival of Souls and others she's done. I'll get my hands on this at some point and read it but maybe not rush!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, the book sounds interesting. Will have to keep an eye out for it and recommend it to my library :) Nice blog post!

    storytellershannon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, I was eyeing this on my local bookshop on the weekend and ended up not getting it. Love MM for her Wicked Lovely series, but somehow the blurb wasn't tempting enough for me to buy it. Feel's good knowing your thoughts on it match what I suspected. Will try carnival of souls.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...