Friday, 12 July 2013

Review: Losing Hope by Colleen Hoover


Title: Losing Hope
Author: Colleen Hoover
Author Info: Website|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: New Adult
Series: Hopeless #2
Source: Netgalley
Publication Date: 8th July 2013

Tell Me About It
In Hopeless, Sky left no secret unearthed, no feeling unshared, and no memory forgotten, but Holder’s past remained a mystery.

Still haunted by the little girl he let walk away, Holder has spent his entire life searching for her in an attempt to finally rid himself of the crushing guilt he has felt for years. But he could not have anticipated that the moment they reconnect, even greater remorse would overwhelm him…

Sometimes in life, if we wish to move forward, we must first dig deep into our past and make amends. In Losing Hope, bestselling author Colleen Hoover reveals what was going on inside Holder’s head during all those hopeless moments—and whether he can gain the peace he desperately needs.

My Thoughts
While I loved the Slammed series by Colleen, I am late to the Hopeless party and have literally only just read the first book in the series (I know shocking isn't it).  After reading Hopeless I was ecstatic to find Losing Hope on netgalley as a read now, so of course I jumped at the chance to find out more and hear Holders side of the story, we get to see his side of the events in Hopeless, which I suggest you read before getting on with this review, and his reasons for doing what he does and how he feels about losing Hope.
After reading hopeless I knew how this story would end, but that did nothing to distract me from the story, I found myself just as enamoured with losing hope as I did with hopeless, and getting to see holders thoughts and feelings and see why he does things just adds to make the whole story complete.

**While I am going to try and keep it spoiler free the occasional glimpse into Hopeless might make an appearance.**

Losing Hope starts with Holder and Grayson as a house party, and shows us why Holder dislikes Grayson so much, the actions from the party are also a small part in what spurs Les, Holders twin sister, to commit suicide.

From the moment I began reading Losing Hope I was hooked, not only from the plot itself, but also from the multitude of emotions I felt while reading it.  We get to see one side to Holder in Hopeless, but Losing Hope lets us see a whole lot more, how he feels about Sky, when he realises who she really is, how he tries to deal with it all.  Hopeless makes you think Holder has stalker like tendencies and occasionally a strange person, but his reasoning for acting like this are clearly portrayed in Losing Hope and it makes it less stalkerish and more friend like.  The letters he write to Les as a way of coping with her loss and finding Hope make it a nice touch and I'm glad to see she has a part in this story after being such a big part of Hope and Holders life.

I love Daniel, Holders friend in school, he has Holders back when he goes back to school, giving him various options on how Holder wants him to act and is genuinely a nice person.  He is there for Holder no matter what has happened and represents what a real friend is.
"What's wrong with me?" He asked, raising his voice.   He leans forward in his chair and glares at her. "I'll tell you what's wrong with me.  I'm pissed that you're a girl because if you had a dick, I'd be punching you in your disrespectful, fat mouth right now."
[Daniel to girl in class, kindle location 437 eGalley]
His instant nicknames for Holder had me laughing out loud and each time was a different name, his reasoning for also nicknaming his girlfriend had me stop my reading to calm myself down, luckily I was at home so I didn't have to contend with stares from random strangers.

Losing Hope is just as much an emotional roller coaster ride as Hopeless was, and not once did I want to get off. I held on tight with both hands and went along with it, laughing, crying, and experiencing the feeling of loss and sadness all over again.

As I stated earlier I had read Hopeless and knew how the story would end.  I was expecting similar chapters to Hopeless but was pleasantly surprised to discover we get to see what happens after Hopeless ends, lets just say there wasn't a dry eye.  Colleen has once again drew me into her world with words alone, and while it may not be perfect, it is real and THAT is what makes a book addicting and compelling.  You want to help the characters, you want to make them feel better, and when they do get a small sliver of happiness you want to celebrate with them.  Losing Hope was better than I expected and I am sad to see not only this series, but also this couple's story come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...