Thursday, 25 July 2013

Review: Mystic by Alyson Noel


Title: Mystic
Author: Alyson Noel
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Soul Seekers #3
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 4th July 2013

Tell Me About It
After experiencing terrifying visions, Daire Santos goes to live with her grandmother in the dusty New Mexico town of Enchantment. There she discovers that she's a Soul Seeker - a person who can navigate between the living and the dead.

Guided by her grandmother, Daire has learned how to harness her powers - just in time. Enchantment is controlled by the evil Richter family, who are determined to rule over the Lowerworld, Middleworld and Upperworld - upsetting the natural balance and causing chaos.

Daire is the only person who can stop the Richters, but there's one problem: she's in love with Dace, whose twin brother Cade is a shape-shifter, out to steal Daire's powers.

And both boys belong to the Richter clan. Can Daire fulfill her destiny without destroying her one true love?
My Thoughts
I have been counting down the days to the release of Mystic, after the ending in Echo I have desperately been wanting to know what happens next.  Mystic picks up after the events in Echo, and I was once again able to jump straight into the story without feeling like I had missed out on anything, or forgotten anything from the previous book.

**This review may contain spoilers for the series if you have not yet read it**
*
*
*
*
Mystic picks up with Daire recovering under Axel's watchful eye, and further on in the story we discover who Axel is and why he is there.  Dace meanwhile is stuck in the Middleworld, unable to make his way home.  Daire is set on finding Dace's whereabouts.  Mystic alternates chapters between Daire, Dace, and Xotichi, ensuring we get to see the whole story.

In my review of Echo I said that it was my favourite book so far, well Mystic completely blew me away with what happens.  There is more danger and suspense and we get to see the characters grow as people, in themselves and their individual abilities.  Daire and Xotichi also let Lita into the full mystery about Enchantment, and she takes it amazingly well, but if you lived in a town where strange things happened then finding out the real truth probably wont be all that shocking.

I loved getting to see Daire develop as a character, seeing her use her full abilities to aid in her task in finding Dace and clearly marking her place in Enchantment.  She also relies on her friends, rather than trying to tackle everything herself, and I am glad to see her put trust and faith in others to aid her in any way they can.  To do this when it is such an important life in the line takes courage and trust.
Phyre is back to cause trouble, and she has definitely jumped the train to crazy town.  The things she says and does do not help her at all, and while she hasn't had the best life growing up she isn't making the most of it now.

The last few chapters of Mystic had me crying, I didn't want to believe what I was reading, and I kept hoping that it was just a short while, that it wasn't really the end.  I think my heart broke a little while reading this part but seeing Daire have the courage to keep going and do what she thinks is right kept me going too.

Once I began reading Mystic I could not stop, and while actually took me a few days to read, it was during a very busy time where I had to focus on other things going on, rather than being able to sit down and read like I wanted to.  Mystic is a fantastic addition to the Soul Seekers Series, this series gets better and better with each instalment and I am counting down the days to the release of Horizon.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to read this series! I love series that you can just jump right in :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...