Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Review: Stung by Bethany Wiggins


Title: Stung
Author: Bethany Wiggins
Author Info: Website|Blog|Twitter|Facebook
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Stung #1
Source: Publisher
Publication Date: 4th July 2013

Tell Me About It
In a world in crisis, children are the future. Part of the cure. Not now. Children are deadly. Marked one to ten. Fiona is a TEN. She just doesn't know it yet . . . She doesn't know her true strength.

Fiona doesn't remember going to sleep. But she has woken to find her entire world has changed - her house is abandoned and broken, and her neighbourhood is barren and dead. Even stranger is the tattoo on her right wrist that she doesn't remember getting but somehow knows she must cover at any cost. And she's right. When the honeybee population collapsed, a worldwide pandemic occurred and the government tried to bio-engineer a cure. But instead the vaccination turned people into ferocious, deadly beasts. They have been branded as a warning to unvaccinated survivors. Key people needed to rebuild society are protected inside a fortress-like wall. Fiona has awakened branded, alone and on the wrong side of the wall . . .

My Thoughts
I had previously not heard of Stung when the offer came to receive a copy for review, the synopsis sounded interesting but I did some research before saying yes. It definitely has mixed reviews, which can be daunting, but knowing that I have also not been impressed with books that others have loved, I decided to go with my gut instinct and say yes.  When the book arrived and I actually got to see this amazing cover in real life it was instant cover love.
Imagine a world where the bee population was dying out, and to compensate genetically modified bees had been made, but these bees then went and killed the original bees, and now being stung by a bee means death.  A vaccine was made to develop immunity to this new species of bees, but something went wrong, and people who had received the vaccine were slowly changing into wild, uncontrollable beats, intent on killing anything and anyone that gets in their way.  Each person who receive a vaccine is labelled a level in accordance with the amount of vaccines they received, a level 10 being the highest.  Our protagonist of Stung, Fiona, is a level 10.  Waking up in a room that she remembers being different, and wearing clothes she has no recognition of, she sets out to find what has happened to not only herself, but her family

I am glad I said yes to Stung.  I was struggling with another review book I was currently reading so decided to pick up Stung for a change of scenery and I began reading, suddenly I found myself on page 110 and I had no idea I had read that far.  While the plot is slow to develop there was something that kept me wanting more, the mystery over what happened to Fiona, the reason for the tattoos, why the marked are captured or go into hiding.  Soon enough the plot not only speeds up, but throws in a multitude of twists and turns, and had me constantly asking myself, Do I trust this person?

I was on edge of my seat reading Stung  never knowing what would happen to Fiona or Bowen. The action keeps you engrossed and on edge throughout.  I love the little pieces of the past that Fiona remembers as she slowly pieces the information together, trying to remember what happened to herself and her family, each new piece reveals a loss in her past, or a hidden memory, each one certainly makes you emotional, whether that be sadness, shock, happiness.

Fiona is a fighter, and no matter what is thrown in her face she approaches it head on, determined to see it through
I will not die without fighting for a life I am not yet done living.
[Fiona, page 253, UK copy]
She fights for what is right, and true, and even if that means she has to make sacrifices herself she does it willingly if it saves others lives.
Jonah, Fiona's brother, who turned into a beast, makes a few appearances, and while the majority of them are violent and life threatening, I love how there is still some humanity left in him, enough to keep Fiona safe when it really matters.
My initial thoughts of Bowen were not that good, I didn't like him or the way he treated Fiona, but as he learns more about her we start to see sparks fly, and soon he is risking his own life to keep her safe.  He is loyal to Fiona and stands by her through thick and thin and I am looking forward to seeing how this relationship develops in the next instalment.

Stung is a compelling read that quickly had me hooked, I found myself reading it so fast, wanting to know more, that before I knew it I had finished the book.  I am looking forward to seeing what happens next in the second instalment due out next year, but disappointed I have to await so long to read it.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for a wonderful review--glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sound of this one too! Oh my gosh! I'm going to add so many to the pile! Fab review Michelle!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a few moments to comment.
Comments mean love and make the world go round so don't be shy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...